Temporary restrictions have been placed upon renowned Sydney neurosurgeon Charlie Teo’s medical licence after complaints about his work.
The measures include a rule that Dr Teo obtains written support from an approved neurosurgeon before performing certain types of brain tumour surgery.
“If the written statement does not support the practitioner performing the procedure(s) the practitioner cannot recommend or perform the surgery,” the statement on his registration says.
The restrictions follow the opening of an investigation by the Health Care Complaints Commission.
The complaints levelled against the neurosurgeon have not been publicly revealed.
The inquiry caused the Medical Council of NSW to last week call on Dr Teo to attend an “immediate action panel”.
The confidential panel was not disciplinary in nature and sought to place protections for the public, the council said.
Dr Teo has the right to appeal the decision to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
He has been contacted for comment.
In a statement to the Sydney Morning Herald on Friday, he said he accepted the council’s direction.
The conditions are in force from Tuesday and will remain until the completion of a health watchdog investigation, unless the Medical Council decides to remove them earlier.
The written statement Dr Teo will need to obtain from an experienced neurosurgeon requires the other doctor to be satisfied Dr Teo has explained to the patient all material risks associated with the procedure and obtained informed consent.
The doctor will also need to be sure Dr Teo obtained informed financial consent and complied with the use of systems and plans implemented into his practice to manage interstate patients.
Dr Teo must also submit to random audits of his medical records and supervision meetings with an experienced neurosurgeon.
The high-profile doctor, who has four decades of medical experience, is well known for performing “last chance” brain surgery on patients after other neurosurgeons have deemed the condition inoperable.
He was embroiled in a public spat with colleagues in 2019 after charging one of his patients $120,000 for a life-saving operation.
Dr Teo strongly denied overcharging his patients.