Nick Kyrgios may have reignited his war of words with Australian teammate Bernard Tomic after criticising his decision not to play in this week’s Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic.
Tomic made himself unavailable for the clash in Melbourne that begins on Friday, citing scheduling issues.
But Kyrgios said he saw “no reason” why the world No.32 was not in Lleyton Hewitt’s squad.
“As Lleyton said, you’re not going to beg guys to play,” Kyrgios said on Tuesday.
“But it’s disappointing not having him here.
“There’s no reason why he should not be here.”
The pair traded barbs over Kyrgios’ decision not to play a Davis Cup tie against the United States last year.
Kyrgios comments Tuesday follow criticism from Hewitt, who brought in the 65th-ranked Jordan Thompson to replace Tomic in the singles.
Sam Groth and John Peers will play doubles for Australia.
“In some ways it’s disappointing. It’s probably more frustrating, I think,” Hewitt said of Tomic’s withdrawal.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity – we don’t get to come together and play for your country. This is the one opportunity that we get each year.
“At the end of the day, I’m not going to beg guys to play for their country.
“You’ve got to want to come out here and represent your country, otherwise you’re not going to have the results.”
Tomic has won 17 of his 21 Davis Cup matches for Australia.
Kyrgios, who has not played regularly, has triumphed in four of seven.
On Thompson’s selection, Hewitt added: “I’ve done a lot of work with [Thompson] over the last few months and he’d do anything to get out here and play in the green and gold. I couldn’t be prouder.”
The bad blood
During a four-set defeat to John Isner that saw Australia bow out of the 2016 Davis Cup, Tomic was furious at Kyrgios’ withdrawal – which he claimed was due to illness.
He was heard on court telling Hewitt during a frustrated moment: “While I’m here, Nick’s sitting down in Canberra.
“Bulls**t, he’s sick … that’s twice he’s done it.”
Kyrgios also withdrew from a Davis Cup tie against the Czech Republic in 2015.
Tomic was still seething in his press conference following that defeat to Isner and said if Kyrgios played an upcoming tournament in Indian Wells, then he would lose respect for him.
Kyrgios took the comments badly, responding bluntly on Twitter.
The answer to the hashtag’s question was Tomic, in 28 minutes – a 6-0 6-1 loss to Jarkko Nieminen in Miami in 2014.
He then deleted the above tweet and wrote: “Heat of the moment, not gonna take it personally.
“Indian wells a week away, plenty of time. Just don’t expect me to have your back anytime soon.”
Kyrgios edging closer to finding a coach
The big-serving Canberran acknowledged after his second-round exit at the Australian Open that, at 21, it was time he appointed a coach.
He said on Tuesday that he had “a couple” of people in mind but that he wanted someone who would not just be a tennis coach.
“I’ve got to 13 in the world without one so hopefully with a coach, I can improve my game,” he said.
“It’s not so much me being a bad listener. It’s just finding someone who I know has my best interests at heart.
“It’s tough to bring someone on the team that’s not willing to care about me as a person first and tennis second. I’ve got to find the right person.”