Bernard Tomic is in extreme doubt for Australia’s upcoming Davis Cup World Group playoff against Uzbekistan after withdrawing from the US Open in New York with a hip injury.
Tomic said he had also been battling the flu and was in no shape to take on fourth-seeded Spaniard David Ferrer in their scheduled second-round clash at Flushing Meadows on Friday.
The 21-year-old underwent double hip surgery in January after retiring mid-match from his first-round Australian Open showdown with Rafael Nadal and said he didn’t want take any risks with his latest injury.
“I don’t want to muck around with that area. It’s painful,” Tomic said.
“I can’t afford to get on court and play against David and cause much more pain to myself because I’m going to have to stay with him the whole match.
“For me right now, I cannot do that. Who knows, I can potentially make it 10 times worse.
“For me, it’s the best thing not to go on court today. It’s a very difficult decision for me, but I have to do this.”
Tomic said it didn’t feel like the same hip trouble that required surgery.
“It’s a different area. That’s all I can sort of say now,” he said.
“I’ll get it seen with a specialist, so I get their ideas and I’ll decide what’s the best idea.”
The latest setback continues Tomic’s second-round hoodoo in New York.
He stumbled at the second hurdle the last three years, famously being accused by tennis great John McEnroe of “going the tank” in 2012 before falling in four sets last year to lowly-ranked British qualifier Daniel Evans.
Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter is due to name his four-man team to face Uzbekistan on Tuesday for the grasscourt tie starting on Friday week at Cottesloe Tennis Club.
“For sure my biggest priority is to get this hip checked and see what the cause is and what problem it is,” Tomic said.
“Then after that I can look into whether I can go down to Australia for the event in Perth for the Davis Cup.”