Sport Rugby League Sorry Inglis won’t stand down as hit rugby league TV show axed
Updated:

Sorry Inglis won’t stand down as hit rugby league TV show axed

Greg Inglis
Inglis was remorseful when speaking to the press. Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email Comment

Rugby league star Greg Inglis has been suspended for two international matches after being charged with drink driving and speeding.

Just hours after Inglis was named as Australia’s new skipper on Monday, he was allegedly clocked speeding and then later recorded a positive blood alcohol test.

The 31-year-old admitted fault for the incident at a busy media conference on Tuesday.

“What I’ve been charged with is unacceptable,” Inglis said.

“We’ll move forward from here. I’m sincerely apologetic.”

Inglis was later suspended and will miss Australia’s matches against New Zealand and Tonga later this year.

“I know I did the wrong thing and, while I am disappointed at missing the tour, I accept the penalty,” he said.

He played in the Koori Knockout rugby league tournament in Dubbo on Saturday.

Inglis received special approval from his NRL club, South Sydney, to play in the indigenous event and was keen to participate to help give back to the community.

He said he thought he was “fine” to drive on Monday after a Sunday drinking session.

“I went back to the hotel at about 11 or one o’clock – obviously I thought I’d be right to drive,” he said.

“I didn’t leave until about 12 the next day … I thought I was fine.

“Throughout my playing career, I’ve been playing for 13 years and I’ve never had a criminal charge against me.

“I haven’t been involved in any incidents and I’ve been playing since 2005.

“I don’t think I let my country down but I think I let a lot of people down.

“From where I stand in the game as a proud indigenous role model, I think I’ve let a lot of kids down and a lot of people down in that community.”

Inglis, who has previously opened up on battles surrounding his wellbeing, said that this incident had “nothing to do with my mental health”.

“This is to do with me making silly mistakes,” he said.

Inglis will appear in Lithgow Local Court in November.

The Footy Show axed

News of Inglis’ remorse came on the same day that the Nine Network announced The Footy Show would not run in 2019.

Paul Vautin
Darryl Brohman, Paul Vautin and Ray Warren on the set of the program. Photo: Getty

The program, which won 11 Logie awards for the best sports program in Australia, struggled for ratings in 2018 after the departure of former host Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin.

“It’s been an incredible ride for The Footy Show,” Nine’s director of sport Tom Malone said, confirming the show’s 25-year run had ended.

“A quarter of a century of laughs, controversy and first-class footy analysis.

“I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this amazing era of live sports-entertainment television – from producers, editors, camera operators, the players, guests and of course the legendary hosts.”

Erin Molan, who hosted The Footy Show this year, will “take an even more prominent role on Nine’s sports broadcasts going forward”.

Comments
View Comments