Sport Rugby League Storm star Slater signs contract extension
Updated:

Storm star Slater signs contract extension

Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Superstar full-back Billy Slater is set to finish his career in Melbourne after inking a new deal that will keep him at the Storm through the 2017 NRL season, his 15th in first grade.

The 32-year-old, currently on 277 games, is set to become the second player to appear in 300 games for the Melbourne Storm after Cameron Smith achieved the feat earlier this season.

“I’m thrilled to get an opportunity to remain at Melbourne Storm, I’ve never once entertained the prospect of playing anywhere else but for this club,” Slater said in a club statement.

Farah told he faces reserve grade in 2016
Robbie Farah set to part ways with Wests Tigers
Injury carnage leaves the NRL a war of attrition

“I’m very fortunate to be in this position and grateful for the opportunity Storm has given me, not just for this contract, but for the 15 years prior to this also.”

The Maroons and Australia full-back is the third member of the vaunted ‘Big Three’ to sign beyond 2015, with Smith locked in until the end of 2018 and Cooper Cronk on the books through next season.

Boom rookie Cameron Munster is making waves at the back for the Storm after Slater was forced to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery after State of Origin II.

“Watching the boys playing has been extremely tough and it’s reminded me I’m nowhere near retiring right now,” Slater said at a press conference on Thursday.

“I’m as hungry as ever and I’ve still got the drive to succeed. It’s not definitely my last contract but more than likely.

“The body’s feeling really good and I feel like I’ve got plenty of rugby league left in me.

“Two years might be enough, I’m not sure.”

The Storm’s retention plans are looking good with 20-year-old Munster and star Kiwis Jesse Bromwich and Tohu Harris all contracted for years to come.

Comments
View Comments