Sport Rugby League Farah slams ‘arrogant’ ref Hayne

Farah slams ‘arrogant’ ref Hayne

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah has labelled leading NRL referee Shayne Hayne as ‘arrogant’ after he refused to refer a possible David Nofoaluma try to the video referees early in the joint venture’s 40-8 loss to Manly on Friday night.

Nofoaluma looked to have touched the tryline with the Steeden in the third minute of the Brookvale Oval encounter and television replays appeared to suggest likewise.

But Hayne immediately ruled a knock on and a Manly scrum despite the repeated protests of Farah and his teammates.

The NSW No.9 said he couldn’t believe Hayne didn’t hand the decision upstairs to Steve Chiddy and Luke Pattern.

“(It’s) probably arrogance who knows, they check everything else,” Farah said at the post-game press conference.

“Sometimes they go up there and they look at things 20 times yet …

“I was asking him to check it, but as a captain he just tells me to walk away, they ask you to show respect but they show none in return.

“In saying that we were crap. I can sit here and admit that, but I would like to see if the refs come out during the week and admit that they were too but it is not going to happen.

“It didn’t cost us the game but at least we can put our hand up and own up to it it would be nice if some others did that as well.”

Farah had a running battle throughout the round 18 fixture with Hayne, who was dumped as one of the referees for the final State of Origin fixture, and could be heard saying “Have you got 10 large?” at the start of the press conference to Tigers boss Grant Meyer who was sitting at the back of the room.

“He will still be refereeing next week,” Farah continued.

“I can’t say I have the best relationship with him, there are others you talk to and they show you respect as a captain.

“But I find it difficult with him, but they are the things that you have to adapt to as a captain.”

Tigers coach Mick Potter said the incident was “ludicrous” but it became somewhat academic afterward after Manly raced to a 22-0 lead at halftime.

Farah conceded the Tigers had to respond better when calls went against them.

“We have to be better than that, things go against you on the footy field, you have to get on with the job it was only three minutes into the game,” he said.

“They were the better side, we got beat by 40 so I can’t sit here and say the refs cost us the game.”