Newcastle forward David Fa’alogo has avoided a charge by the NRL match review committee despite Wests Tigers lodging an extraordinary complaint against him.
The Tigers were incensed with a hit Fa’alogo put on their forward Liam Fulton, who has been concussed on numerous occasions this year.
Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer took the unusual step of phoning NRL head of football Todd Greenberg to complain, believing Fa’alogo had attacked Fulton’s head.
“We’d like to think the NRL will have a look tomorrow and the appropriate action is taken,” Mayer told Fairfax Media.
The NRL said its independent match review committee examined the footage involving Fa’alogo but deemed he had no case to answer.
However, fellow Newcastle forward Kade Snowden is facing two weeks on the sidelines after receiving two separate careless high tackle charges.
Snowden copped a grade two charge for a hit on Curtis Sironen, and then in the final 10 minutes of the match was handed a grade one for striking Boden Thompson around the mouth.
The Knights prop was last year banned for seven matches for a shoulder charge which broke the jaw of North Queensland utility Ray Thompson.
Meanwhile, Canterbury forward Sam Kasiano will escape suspension for making dangerous contact with a kicker if he takes an early plea for a grade one charge.
Kasiano was put on report for taking out the legs of Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, forcing the Queensland star off the field with a flare-up of a knee injury.
The Sea Eagles were seething post match, with coach Geoff Toovey saying: “It was illegal, it will be dealt with.”
However, Kasiano will be free to take on Parramatta this Saturday night.
Sydney Roosters prop Dylan Napa was charged for a head slam but can play against Newcastle this weekend with an early guilty plea.