Sport Rugby League Fensom re-signs with Raiders until 2017

Fensom re-signs with Raiders until 2017

Shaun Fensom
Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Canberra star Shaun Fensom says he’d like to be a one-club player and even a future captain after re-signing with the Raiders until the end of the 2017 NRL season.

Although Fensom will miss the Raiders’ first home game of the season against Gold Coast this Sunday after accepting a one-week ban for a crusher tackle, the news of his re-signing is a big boost for new coach Ricky Stuart’s regime.

The two-time club player of the year has been an integral part of the Raiders since making his NRL debut in 2009.

The 25-year-old lock was rewarded for his strong work ethic, both on and off the field, earlier this year when Stuart appointed him as one of four players in the Raiders’ leadership group.

He’s also seen as a strong candidate for future skipper, having captained the Raiders’ NYC team to a premiership in 2008.

“If that does happen I’d be more than happy to take that role,” Fensom said.

While he’s aiming to finish his career as a one-club player, he accepted that wasn’t always possible.

“I’d like to. But three years is a long time and a lot can happen,” he said.

Fensom said he was disappointed not to be playing against the Titans this Sunday after his tackle on Dane Gagai during the Raiders’ 26-20 win in Newcastle resulted in a one-week ban.

“I had no intent of doing what happened in that tackle,” he said.

“So it was just a very unfortunate incident that happened and I’ve just got to take it on the chin.”

-AAP