Sport Racing Jamie Whincup’s Bathurst 1000 appeal dismissed

Jamie Whincup’s Bathurst 1000 appeal dismissed

Whincup's Bathurst appeal dismissed
Holden's Will Davison and co-driver Jonathon Webb's triumph remains intact. Photo: AAP
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Supercars star Jamie Whincup’s bid to overturn a penalty that cost him a Bathurst 1000 victory has been dismissed.

Holden’s Will Davison and co-driver Jonathon Webb’s triumph remains intact, after the Supercars National Court of Appeal in Melbourne took just over an hour to dismiss Whincup’s appeal on Tuesday night.

Whincup crossed the line first in the Great Race on October 9 but was relegated to 11th due to a 15-second time penalty.

His role in a late incident that ended the winning hopes of Volvo’s Scott McLaughlin and Courtney’s Holden teammate Garth Tander earned him the penalty.

“The Supercars National Court of Appeal has dismissed the Appeal submitted by Triple Eight Race Engineering (Australia) Pty Ltd in relation to the time penalty imposed by the Stewards in the 2016 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000,” read a statement from the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport.

“The Appeal Hearing was heard at the County Court of Victoria this evening, relating to the severity of the 15 second post-race time penalty handed down to Car #88 (Jamie Whincup/Paul Dumbrell) for Careless Driving after causing contact with Car #33 (Scott McLaughlin/David Wall) at Turn 21 on Lap 150.

“The Chairman of the Court announced that the appeal was dismissed at 7:53pm, after debate regarding whether Triple Eight had a right of appeal against a decision made by the Stewards during a race.”

The court will release its reasoning behind the verdict within the next 14 days.

Tander’s Holden teammate James Courtney said there would be a “lot of upset people” if RBR did pull off a Bathurst win via the courts.

“No one wants the Bathurst 1000 decided in a court room,” Courtney told AAP.

“It is like the Melbourne Cup being decided in a court room and not on the track.

“I would feel bad for Jon and Will. That team worked their arses off to get the result.

“There would be a lot of upset people.”

Courtney said no matter what the result, the fans had been let down by the fallout of the controversial Bathurst 1000 race.

“For such an event to end that way and then be dragged through the media and courts, it is not what we are here to do,” he said.

“Even people in the industry are scratching their heads not knowing what is going on or how it is playing out.

“I feel more for the fan base. It has let down them more than anything.”

However, Whincup’s Red Bull Racing team now have a week to decide whether to take their case to the FIA International Court of Appeal.

Comments
View Comments