Sport Other Sports David Beckham signs up for Sydney Invictus Games
Updated:

David Beckham signs up for Sydney Invictus Games

David Beckham
David Beckham will join Australian Olympic gold medalists Anna Meares and Ian Thorpe as an ambassador for the Invictus Games. Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Retired soccer star David Beckham has signed up as an ambassador for Prince Harry’s Invictus Games in Sydney.

The former England football captain said in an Instagram post this week he’s “incredibly proud” to be an ambassador for the Games, which will involve 500 wounded and sick defence force veterans from 18 nations competing in 11 adaptive sports from October 20-27.

“I’ve been lucky enough to meet and work with many serving, veteran and wounded British armed forces personnel over the years and I’ve been humbled by the courage, resilience and spirit shown by each and every one of them,” Beckham said.

“So, I’m incredibly proud to announce I will be an ambassador for this year’s Invictus Games in Sydney.

“The entire Invictus Games team, led by the Duke of Sussex, has achieved remarkable things in such a short space of time, using sport as a powerful force to rehabilitate and unite and I can’t wait to be part of the energy and the excellence of the Games this year.”

The Invictus Games were founded by Prince Harry in 2013, with the first annual event held in London in 2014.

Beckham has been friends with the British royal family for years, attending Prince Harry’s and Prince William’s weddings, with his wife Victoria Beckham.

He joins a host of Australians who have previously been announced as ambassadors for the Games, including Olympic gold medalists Anna Meares and Ian Thorpe.

-with AAP