Sport Football Celebrity chef George Calombaris charged with assault
Updated:

Celebrity chef George Calombaris charged with assault

George Calombaris assault
George Calombaris is a passionate Melbourne Victory supporter.
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Celebrity chef George Calombaris has been charged with assault after an alleged altercation at Sunday’s A-League Grand Final.

New South Wales Police said on Wednesday that Calombaris had been charged with assaulting a 19-year-old man following an investigation into the incident.

Calombaris, a passionate Melbourne Victory supporter and a judge on popular Network Ten television program, MasterChef, allegedly shoved a Sydney FC fan in the incident.

Police told The New Daily on Monday that the victim was “uninjured”.

The 38-year-old is due to appear at Downing Centre Local Court on June 29.

Footage obtained by The World Game shows the celebrity chef’s furious reaction to being heckled.

Calombaris is Melbourne Victory’s number-one ticket holder.

The club lost the season decider to Sydney FC in a tense penalty shootout.

Watch footage of the alleged altercation

It is unclear what exact words were exchanged between the spectator and Calombaris before the incident.

But one man can be heard in the video shouting “pay your staff, you dodgy bas***d”, a reference to the saga that saw the chef hit the headlines last month.

Calombaris later issued an apology, claiming the spectator had made comments about his family.

He said he was “not proud” of his reaction.

I am really disappointed with what occurred last night,” Calombaris said on Monday.

“I was genuinely shocked when post-match football banter turned into personal abuse about my family.

“While I am not proud of my reaction to the situation, I was offended by a spectator yelling out abusive and derogatory comments about my family.

“I sincerely apologise for offending anyone. I have spoken to Melbourne Victory FC and Football Federation Australia today to report the situation and I’m truly sorry that this has happened.”

Underpaying workers controversy

Last month, Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper revealed the restaurant group which oversees Calombaris’s restaurant empire, MAdE Establishment, had underpaid 162 staff about $2.6 million over a six-year period.

His restaurants employ around 430 people and include high-profile Melbourne eateries The Press Club and Gazi.

Calombaris said at the time he was “devastated” by the situation, and arranged for affected staff members to be re-paid.

Comments
View Comments