Sport Football Roar too good for Melbourne City

Roar too good for Melbourne City

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Brisbane have ended Melbourne City’s four-match winning streak with a 3-1 victory that keeps the Roar in touch with Western Sydney at the top of the A-League ladder.

In front of 16,435 fans at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday night, the Roar led 2-0 at halftime thanks to an own goal from Patrick Kisnorbo and Brandon Borrello’s effort.

City hit back through the A-League’s top goal-scorer Bruno Fornaroli’s tenth of the season before Henrique sealed the win in injury time with a stunning strike from halfway.

Victory pay the penalty in controversial draw 
Brosque hurt, Sydney beat Mariners

The Roar’s third straight win keeps John Aloisi’s side in second position on the table, two behind the Wanderers and four above Melbourne City and Sydney FC.

After an entertaining first half-hour when both sides had a number of chances, the game’s opening goal came in innocuous circumstances.

Veteran Shane Stefanutto put in a low cross from the left flank aimed at Jamie Maclaren only for the outstretched leg of City skipper Kisnorbo to divert the ball into his own net.

Four minutes before the break, Borrello marked his return for the Roar with a goal.

The 20-year-old striker found space inside the box from a reverse pass from Dimitri Petratos and despite goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen getting a hand to the ensuing shot, he could not prevent the ball beating him at his near post.

The halftime lead flattered the Roar who had goalkeeper Jamie Young to thank for three fine stops.

City boss John van `t Schip got a response from his side within four minutes of halftime when a goal-kick was flicked on by Harry Novillo and Fornaroli steered the ball past Young before slotting into an empty net.

The introduction of Robert Koren from the City bench almost paid dividends seven minutes from fulltime when he struck the crossbar from twenty yards out with Young beaten.

With City going all out for an equaliser, Maclaren and substitute Henrique had numerous opportunities to extend the lead before deep into injury time, with Sorensen making his way back to the goal following a City corner, the Brazilian slotted a low drive into an empty net from fifty yards out.

A heated moment just before the hour mark led referee Jarred Gillett to dish out yellow cards to Roar defenders Jade North and Daniel Bowles as well as Paulo Retre and Novillo of City after they were involved in a skirmish.

View Comments