Sport Football Brisbane Roar trounces ordinary Adelaide

Brisbane Roar trounces ordinary Adelaide

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Adelaide United’s search for an A-League goalscorer will go on for another week after being trounced 3-0 on Saturday night by Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

The result moves the Roar into second place and sets up a top-of-the-table clash with Sydney FC next week, while also heightening pressure on former Barcelona great Guillermo Amor, who is yet to taste victory as Adelaide coach.

Jets pull off great escape in Melbourne 
Tim Cahill re-signs with Shanghai Shenhua

Brandon Borrello, a South Australian product, bagged his second brace of the season, putting the Roar in front after nine minutes before sealing the win in added time.

His partner in crime, Jamie Maclaren, also put himself in the action with an excellent left-footed finish in the second half.

It was a hard-earned victory in front of 10,707 fans, as John Aloisi’s men battled to keep the Reds at bay despite long stretches of possession and some good chances in the second half for the visitors.

But Adelaide’s failure to hit the scoreboard continues a worrying trend.

The only two goals United have scored in four games this season have been own-goals – a statistic that underlines Adelaide’s dire lack of creativity in the final third.

The Roar, in contrast, were far more efficient with the ball and potent going forward, taking the lead in the opening stages.

Borrello was the finisher at the far post, but the goal was conjured up by Thomas Broich, who volleyed a pin-perfect ball from Matt McKay into the young winger’s path, taking a deflection on the way.

The Reds had their opportunities but failed to hit the target and were thwarted by Roar goalkeeper Jamie Young when they did.

Young produced a remarkable save just short of the hour mark to deny Adelaide’s Spanish import Cirio, who was one-on-one after beating veteran defender Jade North to a long ball from the back.

Cirio appeared certain to level the scores – only for Young to throw out his left palm and force a corner.

An unmarked Isaias then spurned United’s best chance of the night about five minutes later, ballooning his shot from the top of the box well over the bar.

Maclaren made them pay in the 79th minute, latching onto another McKay pass and curling his finish past back-up Reds gloveman John Hall, before Borrello provided the final blow.

Earlier, a late brace from Matt Simon helped Sydney FC post a 3-1 win over Central Coast in Gosford.

Sydney FC striker Matt Simon ran onto the field at his old home of Central Coast Stadium, he told his coach Graham Arnold he would win him the match.

Simon – the Mariners all-time leading scorer – came on after an hour of the match, with the score locked at 1-1 following first-half goals to Shane Smeltz and Roy O’Donovan.

In the 82nd minute, in front of a 10,030-strong crowd of mostly Mariners faithful, Simon latched onto a Filip Holosko cross, settling with a touch before burying the ball in the back corner.

The late heroics continued six minutes later when fellow substitute Mickael Tavares curled in a cross for Simon to head home a second.

– with AAP


View Comments