Sport Football FIFA descends into chaos
Updated:

FIFA descends into chaos

Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

FIFA’s ethics watchdog have suspended the two most powerful men in football, Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, for 90 days in a sensational new blow to the sport’s scandal-tainted governing body.

Secretary-general Jerome Valcke was also suspended for 90 days while South Korean tycoon Chung Mong-Joon, a candidate for the FIFA presidency along with Platini, was banned outright for six years.

While FIFA said the suspensions were “provisional”, the action almost certainly signals the end of the reign of FIFA president Blatter and deals a major blow to UEFA leader Platini’s hopes of taking over.

If you thought the footy season was over, think again
Brisbane Roar beat Wanderers in A-League opener
Socceroos suffer shock loss to a fiery Jordan

Issa Hayatou head of the Confederation of African Football, a Blatter ally, was put in charge of the multi-billion dollar body.

FIFA said Blatter, who has been president since 1998, had been “relieved of all his duties” during the 90 days.

Ethics committee founded by Blatter has suspended he and Platini. Photo: Getty
Ethics committee founded by Blatter has suspended he and Platini. Photo: Getty

Blatter, 79, is under investigation by Swiss prosecutors for criminal mismanagement.

The four football powerbrokers “are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately”, a statement said.

Lawyers for Blatter said he was “disappointed” the ethics watchdog had failed to follow their own rules by not letting him give evidence.

“President Blatter looks forward to the opportunity to present evidence that will demonstrate that he did not engage in any misconduct, criminal or otherwise,” said a statement by Zurich lawyers Lorenz Erni, Erni Brun Forrer and US-based Richard Cullen.

Blatter and French football legend Platini have faced mounting pressure since Swiss prosecutors started their investigation on September 25.

Platini has been named in the investigation because of a $US2 million ($A2.76 million) payment he received in 2011.

Platini, 60, registered his candidacy on Thursday for the February 26 vote to find a successor to Blatter.

He slammed as “farcical” the FIFA ban and signalled he would pursue his campaign for the leadership of the world body.

“I reject all the allegations that have been made against me,” he said.

The 54-member European body will meet at its Nyon headquarters next Thursday to discuss the crisis.

The suspensions handed out on Thursday can be renewed for another 45 days when they run out in January, which would take the exclusion until just before the FIFA election to be held on February 26.

Chung, who was also fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($A138,000), is automatically ruled out of the presidential race.

The scion of the Hyundai family was found to have contravened rules while lobbying for South Korea’s bid for the 2022 World Cup which was awarded to Qatar in a controversial 2010 vote.

Chung said he would “mobilise all legal means” to fight his six-year ban.

FIFA’s crisis has been mounting since May when US authorities issued charges against 14 FIFA officials and sports marketing executives over more than $US150 million ($A206.64 million) in bribes given for broadcasting and marketing contracts.

Seven FIFA officials were detained at a Zurich hotel two days before Blatter was re-elected for a fifth term on May 29.

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach entered the controversy on Thursday, calling on FIFA to consider a “credible external candidate” as president.

Prince Ali bin al Hussein, a former FIFA vice president from Jordan, and Zico, a former Brazilian footballer and sports minister, are also in the running.

The deadline for nominating is October 26.

—AAP

Comments
View Comments