Sport Football Adelaide City stun Wanderers

Adelaide City stun Wanderers

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Adelaide City set an early benchmark for FFA Cup upsets on Tuesday night with a shock 1-0 win over A-League giants Western Sydney Wanderers.

A stunning solo goal against the run of play from City midfielder Thomas Love with 15 minutes remaining left the Wanderers red-faced in what was the first FFA Cup match featuring an A-League side and a semi-professional team.

Despite several absentees, the Wanderers fielded a strong line-up and dominated large periods of the game but were unable to find a way past a resolute home defence.

The Wanderers earned 10 corners while City – who won the National Soccer League (NSL) three times during the 1980s and 90s – failed to earn a corner and had only three shots on goal.

“I’m so thankful the goal went in and we are through to the next round,” said Love, who rounded numerous defenders en route to scoring his historic goal.

“I figured I may as well run with it and see what happens.

“Everyone wanted to win that match so much and we fought for each other. We knew that there was always a chance. The boys are ecstatic.”

Sydney FC needed extra time to see off the newly renamed Melbourne City 3-1 in Ballarat in a contest full of goalmouth action.

Corey Gameiro put Sydney ahead before the interval only for Nick Kalmar to restore parity midway through the second half.

Ali Abbas scored two penalties in extra time to get the Sky Blues over the line, with Jason Hoffman sent off for Melbourne.

Sydney United eased to a comfortable 4-1 home win over a disappointing Far North Queensland Heat in the first blowout scoreline of the FFA Cup to date.

The former NSL powerhouses began strongly in wet conditions with an early goal from Ante Tomelic, with Mirjan Pavlovic hitting a second-half double before the visitors scored a late consolation.

Across Sydney, another former NSL club had less fortune as Blacktown City were edged out by Melbourne’s Bentleigh Greens with the lone goal coming from David Stirton late in the first half.