Sport Football Mariners thrash Jets 3-0 in F3 derby

Mariners thrash Jets 3-0 in F3 derby

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Central Coast recaptured their A-League championship-winning form to claim bragging rights in the 31st F3 derby on Saturday, defeating fierce rivals Newcastle 3-0 in convincing fashion.

First-half goals from Anthony Caceras, Matt Simon and Daniel McBreen secured victory to lift the Mariners to second on the table.

The loss ensured the Jets remain winless at Bluetongue Stadium in over six years and handed Jets coach Clayton Zane defeat in his first game at the helm.

The Mariners dominated from the get-go and while the Jets were far more spirited in the second half, they could not combat the constant pressure from the defending champions.

Caceras broke the deadlock in sensational style, going on a menacing run from the halfway mark and getting past two defenders before pulling the trigger from 25 metres out in the 13th minute.

Simon continued the early assault with his header going over the crossbar before McBreen forced a save from Jets gloveman Mark Birighitti moments later, the keeper at full stretch to diffuse the strike.

The evergreen McBreen found the back of the net in the 31st minute with a superb curling effort into the top corner to double the advantage.

Simon fired the Mariners’ third just before the break, getting on the end of a Mile Sterjovski corner to head home in the 47th minute.

Zane had formulated his gameplan around getting better supply to marquee striker Emile Heskey.

And the former England international had the Jets’ best chance of the half with young gun Adam Taggart providing the pass but, with only keeper Liam Reddy to beat, Heskey skied the ball from point-blank range.

Zane brought Andrew Hoole on in the second half and the speedy forward had an instant impact, setting up Taggart minutes into the half with Reddy forced to save his ensuing strike.

Graig Goodwin looked like getting one back for the Jets with less than 20 minutes left, drawing a save from Reddy before hitting the post seconds later.

The Mariners kept up their attack with Joshua Rose and substitute Bernie Ibini keeping Birighitti on his toes until the final whistle.