Sport Football Victory win, keep top spot in W-League

Victory win, keep top spot in W-League

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The W-League’s leading goal-scorer Caitlin Friend bagged a late winner as in-form Melbourne Victory maintained top spot with a controversy-marred 2-1 win over Canberra United.

Friend coolly converted with an opportunistic strike for her seventh goal of the season, with Canberra midfielder Kendall Fletcher earlier cancelling out Lisa De Vanna’s opener.

Matildas star De Vanna was a constant menace to the visitors’ backline but her goal two minutes into the second half drew numerous Canberra protestations for offside with television replays indicating the decision was incorrect.

Canberra’s anguish was intensified within a minute as Fletcher had the ball in the net only for the goal to be chalked off in another highly contentious offside call.

Two-time champions Brisbane Roar were made to work overtime before eventually subduing Perth Glory 2-1.

The Glory bounced back from a near-record 8-2 defeat against Sydney FC last weekend with a stoic display in warm and humid Brisbane conditions, only for the home side to retain their hold on second spot thanks to goals from Tameka Butt and Katrina Gorry.

Sydney FC maintained their undefeated campaign in notching a routine 3-0 victory against Newcastle Jets to leapfrog Canberra into third.

Teenage star Caitlin Foord continued her stunning form by following up last week’s hat-trick with a goal in each half against the Jets.

The champions will have an opportunity to move into second when they tackle cross-town rivals Western Sydney Wanderers in a catch-up match on Wednesday.

Michelle Carney netted with the last kick of the game to earn Western Sydney Wanderers a share of the spoils against Adelaide United in a 1-1 result which does little to help either side’s finals hopes.

The match was marked by a historic strike from Emily Condon with the Port Pirie-based 15-year-old becoming the youngest goalscorer in the W-League as Adelaide took the lead against the run of play midway through the second half.

However, the Wanderers finally drew level as Carney spectacularly equalised from an acute angle in the sixth minute of injury time.