Sport Football Brisbane Roar thump Sydney 5-2

Brisbane Roar thump Sydney 5-2

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Front-runners Brisbane Roar became the first A-League team to reach 100 victories and did it in commanding style on Boxing Day with a 5-2 drubbing of Sydney FC.

Skipper Alessandro Del Piero broke the deadlock on Thursday night but the Sky Blues conceded two penalties to help Dimitri Petratos to a hat-trick.

Thomas Broich and Ivan Franjic rounded out the scoring for Brisbane before Richard Garcia got one back in the dying minutes at Allianz Stadium.

With the average age of 30 it was the oldest team Sydney have ever fielded and it showed.

The Roar dominated play from the get go with their attacking, passing football providing a stark contrast to a sluggish looking Sydney who lacked any real fire-power up front.

Del Piero and fellow veteran Brett Emerton were both back after missing last week’s loss to Wellington.

And 39-year-old Del Piero again proved the difference for the Sky Blues.

Roar defender Jade North conceded a free-kick after bringing down Del Piero just outside the box and the Italian made no mistake, his inch-perfect strike beating the wall and out-stretched keeper Michael Theo to put the hosts in front in the 11th minute.

But Brisbane playmaker Broich found the equaliser just nine minutes later with a great strike, timing his run to perfection to get on the end of a superb through-ball from Luke Brattan.

Sebastian Ryall then gifted the Roar a penalty a moment later with a foul on Henrique in the box.

Petratos, in his first start against his former club, stepped up to the mark and slotted home but was forced to re-take the penalty kick.

His second attempt was no different, too good for keeper Vedran Janjetovic, to put the visitors in front 2-1 in the 23rd minute.

Petratos got his second of the game in the 35th minute, courtesy of great lead-up work from Broich, to send the visitors to the break 3-1 up.

The Roar looked to have gone 4-1 up early in the second half when Henrique headed home but the goal was disallowed with the referee picking up the Brazilian’s handball.

The Roar were awarded another penalty in the 77th minute when Nikola Petkovic charged at Broich in the box, with Petratos netting from the spot to get his treble.

Franjic put the final nail in the coffin with his extra-time strike before Garcia got one back just before the final whistle.