Sport Football W League: Roar, Sydney fight out draw

W League: Roar, Sydney fight out draw

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

A second-half equaliser from Hayley Raso has ensured Brisbane Roar shared the spoils with Sydney FC as the W-League’s two most successful clubs played out a typically feisty 1-1 draw on Sunday.

Sydney FC forward Sam Kerr was sent off in the dying seconds to end a match that was littered with goalmouth action and crunching tackles amid some stifling Brisbane heat.

The contest started brightly for the visiting Sky Blues, who took a fourth-minute lead through stalwart defender Renee Rollason.

In-form midfielder Katrina Gorry struck the crossbar as the Roar pushed for an equaliser before Raso drew the team’s level following a lightning counter-attack ten minutes into the second period.

The result leaves Brisbane and Sydney, who have won four of the five W-League titles, sitting in third and fourth respectively although the Sky Blues have two matches in hand.

Western Sydney Wanderers overcame a resilient Newcastle Jets and some blistering heat in Sydney’s west for a 3-0 victory to continue the club’s recent revival.

Officials came close to postponing the match as the thermometer hovered around 40 degrees at Penrith, with players instead permitted two drinks breaks per half.

Bottom side Newcastle provided surprisingly stout opposition and Jets captain Gema Simon had the ball in the net only for the goal to be controversially chalked off due to an earlier infringement.

Newcastle then fell victim to a sucker punch just seconds before halftime as Linda O’Neill netted, with Catherine Cannuli scoring twice in quick succession during the second half as the Wanderers eventually wrested control of the contest.

Melbourne Victory retained their one-point hold on top spot but it took a late Lisa De Vanna goal to see off the rejuvenated Adelaide United 1-0 on Saturday.

The unheralded Lady Reds, having caused a sensation last week with a win over the star-studded Brisbane Roar, looked set to hang on for a share of the spoils until De Vanna guided home a header with eight minutes remaining.

Canberra United sit a point shy of the Victory in second following a hard-fought 2-0 win in Perth.

Goals from Ashleigh Sykes and Stephanie Ochs at either end of the second half saw United earn three valuable points against an injury-hit Perth Glory.