Sport Cricket Candice Warner reveals heartbreaking miscarriage after cricket scandal
Updated:

Candice Warner reveals heartbreaking miscarriage after cricket scandal

Candice Warner
“I wonder how all those who came after me feel now?” Candice Warner said. Photo: AAP
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

The wife of Australian cricketer David Warner has revealed the heartbreaking toll the ball-tampering scandal had on her family, saying she suffered a miscarriage during the furore.

Speaking to Australian Women’s Weekly, Candice Warner said the miscarriage was a “heartbreaking end to a horror tour” that saw her husband sent home from South Africa and subsequently suspended from first-class cricket for 12 months.

“I called Dave to the bathroom and told him I was bleeding. We knew I was miscarrying. We held one another and cried,” she said on Wednesday.

“The miscarriage was a heartbreaking end to a horror tour. The ordeal from the public humiliations to the ball tampering had taken its toll and, from that moment, we decided nothing will impact our lives like that again.”

Candice said the combination of backlash from the ball-tampering scandal and the reported sexist taunts about her towards her husband from the South African cricket team contributed to her pregnancy loss.

“It rocked my very foundation and I paid the ultimate price, losing our baby,” she said.

“I wonder how all those who came after me feel now?”

The former international iron woman also told the publication her and her husband had been trying for their third child since July 2017.

The couple have two daughters, Ivy Mae, three, and Indi Rae, two.

“We love Cape Town and it’s where Dave proposed to me in 2014. I was beginning to feel that first stage of being pregnant – the subtle changes to my body were kicking in. We were overwhelmed, knowing another little Warner was on the way.

“I don’t think either of us realised how much we longed for this baby. We had been trying since last July and I did a test when we first got to Cape Town.