David Warner’s transition from cricketer to tradie has led to a dramatic incident that left a photographer “shocked and shaken up” and the windscreen of a car smashed.
Warner – who was suspended by Cricket Australia for 12 months for his role in the ball-tampering scandal that rocked the sport – has been recently spotted working on the building site of his new home in Maroubra, New South Wales.
But paparazzi trying to get shots of Warner working up a sweat in his hard hat were stunned when a car was allegedly damaged by the cricketer’s brother-in-law, Tim Falzon.
A report on Seven News on Sunday evening revealed that Falzon was charged with “wilfully damaging and destroying property” and will now appear in court in June.
According to Seven, 21-year-old photographer Jayden Seyfarth was “staking out Warner’s home”.
He told the network: “I was in disbelief. I was shocked and shaken up.”
The incident comes just days after News Corp posted video of Warner shifting wood at the building site.
Warner is clearly not trying to hide his new working arrangement, with his wife Candice sharing photos of her husband on social media.
— 7 News Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) April 22, 2018
In one photo shared by Candice last week, Warner is wearing a hard hat that reads: “D Warner, project manager, apprentice celebrity.”
Warner’s year off
Meanwhile, an unlikely cricket lifeline has emerged for Warner and former Australia captain Steve Smith from, of all places, England.
County side Surrey – coached by former Australia player Michael Di Venuto – is open to the possibility of signing the pair, if allowed.
Di Venuto, who also worked with Smith and Warner as Australia’s batting coach until 2016, said Surrey would be “mad” not to investigate looking at the banned duo.
“From an Australian perspective, it is probably important that they play a bit of cricket at some stage,” he said.
“If they are in the right mental state to play cricket and the ECB [England and Wales Cricket Board] have to allow it to start with … then we’d be mad not to look at some of the world’s best players potentially playing.”
Getting experience in English conditions ahead of the 2019 Ashes – which both Warner and Smith are eligible to play in – could prove invaluable to Australia’s chances in the cricket showpiece.
Warner and Smith would normally be playing in the mega-rich Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament now, but were both banned from taking part in that as well.
Who is Jayden Seyfarth?
Seyfarth is no stranger to controversy and was banned from flying with Virgin Airlines in November last year.
The celebrity photographer was investigated by the Australian Federal Police after showing up sloppy security measures from the airline.
Seyfarth printed the boarding passes of reality television star Sophie Monk and then-boyfriend Stu Laundy at a self-service computer, just needing to enter their names and destination.
He then allegedly used their tickets to enter Virgin’s lounge and waited for them before taking their photos.
Seyfarth posted a letter from Virgin on Instagram that said he would be indefinitely banned from flying on the airline.
He spoke to News Corp about his profession last year in an article titled: ‘Meet the 20-year-old Aussie paparazzo making thousands’.
He said he “normally” approaches celebrities before he takes photos of them and that “set-ups” – as in ‘candid’ photos that are actually pre-planned – are common in the industry.
Seyfarth added that it is rare that a celebrity is upset by his presence.
“Most just stay quiet and continue doing what they were doing, or just look down at their phones because they’re used to it. It’s nothing new to them.”