Disgraced former Test vice-captain David Warner has accepted the 12-month ban handed to him by Cricket Australia, meaning there will be no appeals over the ball-tampering scandal.
Warner on Thursday joined sacked skipper Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft in accepting the suspensions handed to them for bringing the game into disrepute during the Cape Town Test.
“I have today let Cricket Australia know that I fully accept the sanctions imposed on me,” Warner wrote on Twitter.
“I am truly sorry for my actions and will now do everything I can to be a better person, teammate and role model.”
I have today let Cricket Australia know that I fully accept the sanctions imposed on me. I am truly sorry for my actions and will now do everything I can to be a better person, teammate and role model.
— David Warner (@davidwarner31) April 5, 2018
With the deadline looming on Thursday, former Australia captain Smith was the first to accept his fate when he confirmed he would not challenge Cricket Australia’s 12-month ban for breaching their code of conduct in South Africa.
“I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country,” Smith posted on Twitter on Wednesday.
“But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions.
“They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.”
Bancroft followed his axed captain’s lead hours later once his management clarified details of his punishment and nine-month suspension.
“I would love to put this behind me and will do whatever it takes to earn back the trust of the Australian public. Thank you to all those who have sent messages of support,” the 25-year-old said.
Warner had been thought the most likely to challenge the sanctions after he was accused of being the ringleader in the affair.
The 31-year-old dodged questions at his media conference on Saturday and later confirmed that was due to him taking advice on the process.
There has also been speculation that Warner may do a tell-all interview to help him offset the loss of income from the playing ban.
All players had received the support of Australian Cricketers Association president Greg Dyer, who on Wednesday reaffirmed his backing of the players regardless of their response.
Further details surrounding CA’s independent review are expected to be revealed later this week, with the scope expected to reach far beyond the team.