Sport Cricket David Warner faces claims he may do a high-paid tell-all
Updated:

David Warner faces claims he may do a high-paid tell-all

David Warner press conference
Rehearsing for his close-up? David Warner faces the press on March 31 in Sydney. Photo: Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Channel Nine has refused to deny to The New Daily a report that the network is planning a high-priced tell-all with banned Australian cricketer David Warner.

After Warner’s much-criticised March 31 press conference the former Test vice captain had tweeted that he would say more “in the proper place and at the proper time”. It has since been suggested the disgraced batsman is looking to clinch a $1 million deal for his story.

On Tuesday, journalist David Penberthy told Adelaide radio station FIVEaa “senior media and PR circles in Sydney” insist the Warner camp had a strategy to recoup some of the millions he will lose during his playing ban by selling his story to a commercial station.

“Not true,” said a Nine spokesperson in response to the tell-all mystery.

“We are not paying him $1 million.”

Asked by The New Daily if Nine is negotiating at all with Warner for his story, the spokeswoman said, “Dave Warner has an existing deal with Nine.

“We are not negotiating a different or separate deal about anything.”

The spokeswoman refused to give details of the existing deal.

“That’s not appropriate. He appears on our commentary and other sports shows.”

When pressed, the spokeswoman agreed Warner does not have a commentary box role but, “He is on all our shows and WWOS programs.”

Warner was not named by Nine for its commentary team in a press release from Wide World of Sport staff in November 2017.

He was a guest commentator for Nine’s Matador BBQs One-Day Cup in 2015.

Last week sponsors including Asics and LG abandoned Warner after he and former captain Steve Smith were suspending from playing for one year after sandpaper was used on a cricket ball during the Third Test in South Africa.

Batsman Cameron Bancroft was outed for nine months.

Asked if Nine’s position means it is standing by Warner as other commercial sponsors abandon deals, the spokeswoman said, “We are standing by the deal we have in place.”

Nine’s 60 Minutes has been suggested as a possible vehicle for a Warner interview, as has Seven’s Sunday.

Seven did not respond before deadline to requests for comments from The New Daily.

A TV insider who was worked at both networks told The New Daily the Warner PR approach may have been masterminded before the family flew home from South Africa last week.

“The Twitter apology, the faux-besieged airport arrival with the children, the press conference days later with bland over-rehearsed responses, and lastly Candice’s emotional phone interview with News Limited.

“It was a media drip feed with the aim of securing a high-paying network exclusive.”

The source says “more Warner family tears” will “probably” find an audience. “But he’s not very good talent, his wife is a far better media performer, so expect her to take the lead.”

Candice and David Warner
Candice Warner embraces her husband at the March 31 press conference. Photo: Getty

Retired professional ironwoman Candice Warner, 33, was by her husband’s side during an emotional 2015 60 Minutes interview about cricketer Philip Hughes’s death.

Penberthy echoed the idea the Warner PR campaign was thought-out.

“It’s worth noting that he had the high profile Sydney PR woman Roxy Jacenko with him on the day sitting with his wife Candice at the press conference,” Penberthy said.

“One of the reasons apparently that Warner didn’t answer so many questions is that he’s keeping his powder dry for a tell all interview — part of the strategy that is being spearheaded by Roxy Jacenko.”

Penberthy claimed Warner had taken “a six million dollar hit” in terms of earnings.

“He can recoup at least a million of that from the Nine network or Seven network.”

Ms Jacenko, the founder and director of Sydney PR agency Sweaty Betty, distanced herself from the claims on Tuesday.

“Next I’ll be blamed for providing the sandpaper – that’s about the only thing left,” she told The Australian.

“Candice is a dear friend, thus my support, but I am not their PR.”

Ms Jacenko told The New Daily: “I don’t have any info I am able to provide you but thank you for reaching out.”

Comments
View Comments