Sport Cricket Gayle may never return to Big Bash – reports

Gayle may never return to Big Bash – reports

Chris gayle
Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Chris Gayle is reportedly unlikely to ever return to the Big Bash League following allegations he exposed himself to a woman who was working around the West Indies team in Sydney last year.

The Australian woman told Fairfax Media she entered the West Indian dressing room where Gayle was wrapped in a towel which she says he pulled down partially to expose his genitals while saying to her: “Are you looking for this?”

Mel McLaughlin breaks her silence
“Chris Gayle should be sacked”
‘Women still not taken seriously’

Gayle is now unlikely to play in the Big Bash after this season, and if an investigation substantiates the woman’s claims, he may have his current contract with the Melbourne Renegades torn up, according to reports.

Gayle’s management group, Insignia Sports International, released a statement on Wednesday denying the allegations.

“As Chris’s management group, we have obviously been following recent events closely,” the statement read.

“Chris denies the allegations published by Fairfax Media earlier today.

“It is important that anyone seeking to make false accusations against Chris be aware that Chris and his management will be considering all rights and legal options available.

“There will be no further comment from Chris or his management at this stage.”

The allegations came after Gayle was fined $10,000 for attempting to flirt with Channel 10 reporter Mel McLaughlin live on air during the Renegades’ clash with the Hobart Hurricanes on Monday night.

Sydney Sixers bowling coach Geoff Lawson said Gayle was not essential to the BBL.

“Chris is not a necessary fixture in the competition, that’s for sure,” Lawson told Sky Sports Radio.

“It’s not just the Melbourne Renegades that are dragging a crowd.”

Melbourne Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry’s position is also under scrutiny after he described the timing of the woman’s allegations as “opportunistic”.

Coventry’s employer, Cricket Victoria, indicated they would confront him about the comments.

“Cricket Victoria are committed to demonstrating that our sport respects girls and women and we are working incredibly hard to ensure that is the case,” said Cricket Victoria boss Tony Dodemaide.

“We certainly don’t condone the reported comments attributed to Stuart this morning and we’re looking into it further.”

Comments
View Comments