Sport Cricket Reports Shane Watson dumped for Mitch Marsh
Updated:

Reports Shane Watson dumped for Mitch Marsh

Selectors made a tough decision promoting Marsh ahead of Watson. Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Australian cricketer Shane Watson has reportedly been dropped for the second Ashes Test beginning at Lord’s on Thursday.

Watson will be replaced by rising Western Australia star Mitchell Marsh as Australia try to recover from their crushing 169-run first Test defeat in Cardiff, Fairfax Media reported.

• Rodney Hogg: why we must target Joe Root
• The rebel league that could end Test cricket
• Aussies snubbed England beer offer: Anderson

The decision to dump the 34-year-old was one of two changes to the Australian side for the second Test starting on Thursday, with veteran wicketkeeper Brad Haddin withdrawing for personal reasons. He is set to be replaced by debutant Peter Nevill.

Mitchell Marsh's bowling had been queried.
Mitchell Marsh’s bowling had been queried. Photo: Getty

Selectors made the tough decision by promoting Marsh ahead of Watson.

The 23-year-old’s bowling ability has been questioned, but selectors could no longer deny a spot to a quickly emerging player who presented about as compelling an audition as possible with the bat in the lead-up to this series, Fairfax Media reported.

At a function at Lord’s on Monday night, coach Darren Lehmann said about his bowling: “Only time will tell, won’t it?”

“He’s going to get his opportunity somewhere – there’s no doubt about that in the future, whether it’s this Test match or down the track,” Lehmann said.

“We’ve got to put him under the microscope and see how he goes.”

Probably Australia team for second Test: David Warner, Chris Rogers, Steve Smith, Michael Clarke (c), Adam Voges, Mitchell Marsh, Peter Nevill, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon.

with AAP

Comments
View Comments