England cricket coach Andy Flower has denied claims he issued a ‘him or me’ ultimatum regarding veteran Kevin Pietersen.
But, for the second time this week, would not go so far as to guarantee Pietersen’s place in the future.
“Following speculation in the media today I feel it necessary to reiterate much of what I said in my recent press conference (on Monday),” Flower said in a statement.
“It would be sensible and responsible to review the tour in a calm and logical manner before assessing our options for the future and planning ahead.
“I repeat that neither I nor the wider ECB leadership group have made any decisions as to the future involvement of any individuals in the playing group or in the support staff.
“The reports that I have issued an ultimatum of some description to the ECB are totally inaccurate.”
When Flower recommitted to the England team on Monday saying it was the “end of an era”, it looked like it could be the end for the 33-year-old Pietersen as well.
Flower and Pietersen have had a shaky relationship for some time and there are still a number of rumours circulating the pair cannot work together.
Despite top-scoring for England in the Ashes series, Pietersen has faced plenty of scrutiny after posting just 294 runs through 10 innings.
There was some talk he would retire after the 5-0 drubbing but the enigmatic batsman came out on Tuesday and expressed his desire to win the urn back next year.
“Very disappointed to lose 5-0, and not to score more runs personally. Tough tour against a top class team. #Ashes,” Pietersen said on Twitter.
“I want to thank all the England fans for their terrific support. And I’m determined to help regain the Ashes in 2015.”