England’s Tim Bresnan says he’s fully prepared for a back-breaking workload in this week’s second Ashes Test in Adelaide.
The 28-year-old paceman has been out of the side side the fourth Ashes Test in the UK in August because of a back injury.
Bresnan was added on Monday to England’s Test squad following his first-innings haul of 4-31 for the England Performance Programme against a Queensland Second XI last week.
“It’s a massive boost for me,” Bresnan told a news conference at Adelaide Oval on Tuesday.
“I’m excited to be back amongst it.”
Bresnan’s return is regarded as a strong hint he’ll be rushed into the side at the expense of fellow seamer Chris Tremlett on Thursday, although the tourists could be also looking at recalling spinner Monty Panesar.
Bresnan has claimed 67 wickets at 32.10 in 21 Tests and has a batting average of 30.05.
He bowled 26 overs in last week’s game and says that’s enough, despite the prospect of a long five-day slog on an Adelaide drop-in pitch lacking in bounce and pace.
“I wouldn’t have put my name in the hat if I wasn’t ready,” Bresnan said.
“It takes a great deal of honesty to say if you’re not.
“I’ve bowled a lot of overs in the nets. Building up to full fitness, it does take a long while.
“I do feel ready.”
Adelaide has not been kind to some of Australia’s quicks in recent Tests, including James Pattinson’s break down in 2012 against South Africa.
Bresnan also went into bat for teammates Kevin Pietersen and Stuart Broad, who stayed out until 3.30am on Monday morning just days out from the crucial second Test.
The straight-talking Bresnan said no disciplinary action would be taken.
“I don’t understand why it should be. They’re grown guys; grown men,” he said.
“They’ve not broken any rules as far as we’re concerned.
“We have quite relaxed rules within the team and anyone who breaks those is dealt with accordingly.
“But they’ve broken no rules so I don’t see why it should be an issue.”