American boxing great Shane Mosley has all but confirmed he’ll return to Australia to fight Anthony Mundine, a fortnight after walking out on their original scheduled bout.
The former three-time world champion flew back to the US the day before the October 23 event in Sydney, claiming promoter Vlad Warton breached his contract by failing to pay the remainder of his $1 million purse in advance.
But asked by a fan on Wednesday to confirm rumours the fight was back on via Twitter, Mosley replied “yes”.
And where? “It look (sic) like Australia.”
According to News Corp Australia, Mundine and his manager Khoder Nasser have guaranteed more than $1 million for Mosley to return Down Under.
On Thursday, the pair are expected to confirm November 27 as the new fight date, the report said.
Late last month, Mosley said he had no intention of coming back to Australia to battle Mundine, labelling the country’s boxing scene “behind the times” and “almost like the mafia days”.
“I’m not thinking about going back out to Australia and messing with the time zone; I don’t have time for that,” Mosley told the fighthype.com website.
“I would rather he come out here and fight on my terms and on my turf because, over there, it seems like they’re still behind the times with their boxing.
“It’s almost like the mafia days.”