Sport AFL Dustin Martin not charged over chopstick incident
Updated:

Dustin Martin not charged over chopstick incident

Dustin Martin
Tigers midfielder Dustin Martin is out of contract at the end of the AFL season.
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Victoria Police has determined that “no criminal offence took place” when Richmond star Dustin Martin threatened a woman with chopsticks at a Melbourne restaurant earlier this month.

“Detectives from Stonnington Crime Investigation Unit have conducted an extensive investigation after reports a woman was threatened by a man at a Chapel Street restaurant in Windsor on 5 December,” a Victoria Police statement said.

Why Richmond needs to man up on Dustin Martin
Martin should be banned for a year: Bartlett
Tigers star apologises for drunken behaviour

“After reviewing CCTV footage and speaking to all parties involved, including numerous independent witnesses at the restaurant on the night, investigators determined that no criminal offence took place.

“Police take all reports of violence towards women seriously and investigate all complaints thoroughly.”

Later on Tuesday evening the AFL released a statement “acknowledging” the Victoria Police investigation.

“The AFL acknowledges Victoria Police for its investigation and will now resume its own enquiry, to determine if any action is required under the AFL’s Rules around player conduct,” the statement said. 

Martin has already apologised to the unnamed woman and admitted he was drunk on the night at Mr Miyagi.

The woman claimed that Martin threatened to stab her in the face with a chopstick.

She said Martin was disturbing other diners with his behaviour and he became angry when she asked him to settle down.

She added he then slammed the wall near her head when she confirmed she would contact the club about his behaviour.

Richmond is yet to comment after Victoria Police concluded the investigation.

Comments
View Comments