It’s that time of the year when the hopes and dreams of footy fans get pinned on teenagers with names they haven’t heard of.
Tuesday night’s AFL Draft in Adelaide gave 70 youngsters from around Australia new employers for the next couple of years, and supporters hoping their club might have unearthed the game’s next Nat Fyfe.
There were no surprises at the top of the order, with Jacob Weitering and Josh Schache going one and two as predicted.
But after that point, there were plenty of talking points – like Collingwood’s surprise of going for little known Brayden Sier with their first pick.
And how Harley Balic lasted until pick 38 was a mystery to most judges. He was eventually snapped up by Fremantle.
How did your club fare?
Club by club guide to the 2015 AFL Draft
11. Wayne Milera (Central Districts) Age: 18, Height: 185cm, Weight: 75kg – An exciting forward who sees the play early and has the skills to execute.
17. Tom Doedee (Geelong Falcons) 18, 188cm, 80kg – Medium-sized defender with good pace. Was a surprise to most observers he was taken this high.
2. Josh Schache (Murray Bushrangers) 18, 199cm, 96kg – Larke medallist at the 2015 under-18s carnival, Schache is a physically imposing key forward with nice set shot.
14. (matching Richmond’s bid) Eric Hipwood (Aspley/Brisbane Lions Academy) 18, 202cm, 82kg – A quick, athletic swingman of great size who can do it at both ends of the ground.
24. (matching Western Bulldogs’ bid) Ben Keays (Morningside/Brisbane Lions Academy) 18, 185cm, 82kg – Has been compared to Lions champion Simon Black in his ability to win the footy. Excellent work ethic and accurate left foot.
39. Rhys Mathieson (Geelong Falcons) 18, 185cm, 79kg – Hard and tough midfielder who wins his own ball.
47. Sam Skinner (Gippsland Power) 18, 196cm, 94kg – key defender.
1. Jacob Weitering (Dandenong Stingrays) 18, 195cm, 90kg – The key defender is seen as a natural leader and plays in the mould of Geelong’s Harry Taylor. A good decision maker with excellent skills.
10. Harry McKay (Gippsland Power) 17, 200cm, 85kg – Forward who is agile for his size and good on the lead, McKay could develop into a part-time ruckman once he fills out.
12. Charlie Curnow (Geelong Falcons) 18, 191cm, 95kg – A player who is able to burst through stoppages, and if he is used up forward he will relish one-on-one contests.
23. David Cunningham (Oakleigh Chargers) 18, 183cm, 79kg – Midfielder who tested very well at the Draft Combine and has elite pace, but disposal can be a lucky dip.
53. (matching Essendon’s bid) Jack Silvagni (Oakleigh Chargers F/S) 17, 191cm, 83kg – versatile father/son pick-up, Silvagni marks well and can do it at both ends of the ground.
32. Brayden Sier (Northern Knights) 18, 190cm, 91kg – A shock first-up from the Pies. A big-bodied midfielder, even the club’s website labelled him a “slightly unknown commodity”.
58. Tom Phillips (Oakleigh Chargers) 19, 185cm, 75kg – Pacey wingman, half-forward.
63. Rupert Wills (Collingwood VFL) 22, 191cm, 89kg – Forward.
65. Ben Crocker (Oakleigh Chargers) 18, 185cm, 84kg – Medium-sized utility.
5. Darcy Parish (Geelong Falcons) 18, 181cm, 73kg – A classy midfielder who makes good decisions and can back it up with sublime execution.
6. Aaron Francis (West Adelaide) 18, 191cm, 86kg – Utility who can play down back, in the middle and up front. He has good anticipation, is aggressive and is a great ball-winner.
29. Alex Morgan (Oakleigh Chargers) 19, 181cm, 79kg – Quick defender with an accurate kick.
30. Mason Redman (Glenelg) 18, 185cm, 77kg – Medium-sized forward.
54. Mitch Brown (Sandringham Zebras) 25, 195cm, 93kg – Utility.
64. Yestin Eades (North Ballarat Rebels) 18, 183cm, 81kg – Forward.
68. Michael Hartley (Coburg VFL) 22, 198cm, 100kg – Key defender.
27. Darcy Tucker (North Ballarat Rebels) 18, 183cm, 79kg – Left-footed midfielder who loves to run and carry.
38. Harley Balic (Sandringham Dragons) 18, 187cm, 81kg – Smooth mover who was tipped to go much higher in the draft.
55. Samuel Collins (Box Hill Hawks) 21, 193cm, 87kg – Half-back who links up play.
61. Shane Yarran (Subiaco) – 26, 185cm, 79kg – Medium-sized forward.
59. Ryan Gardiner (Burnie Dockers) 18 – Key defender from Tasmania.
66. Sam Menegola (Subiaco) 23, 188cm, 90kg – Mature age midfielder finds himself at his third AFL club after a year on Hawthorn’s rookie list and three seasons with Fremantle.
69. Wylie Buzza (Mt Gravatt) 19, 197cm, 99kg – Key forward from Queensland.
70. Matthew Hayball (West Adelaide) 18, 185cm, 80kg – Utility.
8. Callum Ah Chee (South Fremantle) 9/10/97, 182cm, 72kg – Has plenty of speed and while he is very light at 72kg he is still able to hold his own in marking contests. Can light up a game.
20. Brayden Fiorini (Northern Knights) 18, 186cm, 76kg – Midfielder/defender who was a standout for the Knights in the TAC Cup.
34. Josh Schoenfeld (Peel Thunder) 18, 186cm, 75kg – Midfielder.
52. Mackenzie Willis (Kingborough) 20 – Utility/wingman from Tasmania.
Greater Western Sydney
7. (matching Gold Coast’s bid) Jacob Hopper (North Ballarat Rebels/GWS Academy) 18, 186cm, 82kg – A tough ball-winning midfielder who lifts those around him and is a natural leader.
13. (matching Richmond’s bid) Matthew Kennedy (Collingullie/GWS Academy) 18, 187cm, 84kg – The kind of player who will give everything for the team, he is a midfielder who can win clearances and play up forward.
16. (matching Adelaide’s bid) Harrison Himmelberg (Eastlakes/GWS Academy) 19, 194cm, 87kg – An athletic forward who is very mobile and creates plenty of opportunities.
41. (matching Melbourne’s bid) Matthew Flynn (Academy nominee) 18, 199cm, 101kg – Ruckman.
19. Ryan Burton (North Adelaide) 18, 191cm, 90kg – Tall forward with bags of talent, but rarely sighted for 18 months after a badly broken leg.
22. Kieran Lovell (Kingborough) 18, 173cm, 89kg – Hard-running midfielder who brings his own footy.
44. Blake Hardwick (Eastern Ranges) 18, 181cm, 79kg – Forward.
4. Clayton Oliver (Murray Bushrangers) 18, 187cm, 86kg – An aggressive onballer who will barge his way through the stoppages and take out anyone who gets in his way.
9. Sam Weideman (Eastern Ranges) 18, 196cm, 91kg – Has missed a lot of footy through injury for the past two seasons. An aggressive key forward who could slot in to most teams in the AFL.
42. Mitchell King (Murray Bushrangers) 18, 199cm, 91kg – Ruckman with a basketball background.
46. Liam Hulett (Dandenong Stingrays) 18, 193cm, 90kg – Utility.
21. Ben McKay (Gippsland Power) 17, 198cm, 95kg – A strong marking forward who is also able to contribute down back. The twin brother of new Carlton recruit Harry.
31. Ryan Clarke (Eastern Ranges) 18, 184cm, 84kg – Midfield ball magnet.
33. Mitchell Hibberd (Clarence) 19, 190cm, 85kg – Utility from Tasmania.
43. Corey Wagner (Brisbane Academy nominee, Brisbane didn’t match North’s bid) 18, 180cm, 74kg – Midfielder.
60. Declan Mountford (Claremont) 18, 181cm, 72kg – Quick midfielder.
37. Riley Bonner (West Adelaide) 18, 190cm, 85kg – Tall defender with a booming left-foot kick.
45. Aidyn Johnson (Bendigo Pioneers) 18, 183cm, 75kg – Quick forward.
15. Daniel Rioli (North Ballarat Rebels) 18, 179cm, 65kg – Considering his claim that he has his uncle Cyril covered in the pace department, he could be very difficult to stop. A standout performer at the draft combine.
50. Oleg Markov (North Adelaide) 19, 187cm, 75kg – Midfielder/forward with great pace.
67. Nathan Broad (Swan Districts) 22, 191cm, 83kg – Mature age rebounding defender.
18. Jade Gresham (Northern Knights) 18, 177cm, 76kg – Midfielder with speed to burn who loves to get busy around the goals.
40. Brandon White (Dandenong Stingrays) 18, 188cm, 79kg – Midfielder/defender.
49. (matching Richmond’s bid) Bailey Rice (father/son) 18, 184cm, 83kg – Utility. Son of former Carlton premiership player Dean Rice.
3. (matching Melbourne’s bid) Callum Mills (North Shore, Sydney Swans academy) 2/4/97, 186cm, 80kg – Has missed a lot of football with injury this year but is a composed midfielder who is strong under pressure.
51. Tyrone Leonardis (Northern Knights) 18, 182cm, 82kg – Medium sized defender.
56. Jordan Dawson (Sturt) 18, 189cm, 84kg – Medium forward.
West Coast Eagles
28. Luke Partington (Norwood) 18, 181cm, 77kg – Pacey midfielder who racks up plenty of the ball.
36. Tom Cole (Bendigo Pioneers) 18, 185cm, 80kg – Skilful midfielder/defender.
57. Kurt Mutimer (Dandenong Stingrays) 18, 184cm, 81kg – Midfielder.
62. Matthew Allen (Glenelg) 18, 192cm, 72kg – Tall forward.
25. Josh Dunkley (Gippsland Power, Sydney refused to match the Dogs’ bid for the father/son nominee) 18, 188cm, 85kg – Classy midfielder with clean skills could have headed to the Swans, where father Andrew played, but is now bound for the Whitten Oval.
26. Kieran Collins (Dandenong Stingrays) 17, 193cm, 99kg – Tall defender who appears a ready-made AFL full-back.
35. Marcus Adams (West Perth) 22, 192cm, 95kg – Key tall who can play at both ends of the ground.
48. Bailey Williams (Glenelg) 18, 187cm, 77kg – Hard-running midfielder.