Sport AFL Port Power hold Hawks off in a thriller in Adelaide

Port Power hold Hawks off in a thriller in Adelaide

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Spearhead Jay Schulz slotted five goals as Port Adelaide stunned reigning AFL champions Hawthorn on Saturday night by eight points.

The Power, touted as the club most likely to knock the Hawks off their premiership mantle, won 15.9 (99) to 13.13 (91) at Adelaide Oval.

Hawthorn, who lost backman Brian Lake (knee) and forward Paul Puopolo (hamstring) to injury, trailed by 58 points midway through the second quarter.

But the Hawks kicked eight of the last nine goals to give the Power a fright before 50,675 spectators.

Lake hurt his left knee in the seventh minute of the game and was substituted, his injury coming as Port ran amok.

The Power kicked eight goals to one in the first quarter, with Schulz potting three.

They booted seven unanswered goals in the initial 17 minutes – from Chad Wingard’s opening snap to remarkable long-range goals by Justin Westhoff and Hamish Hartlett, the home side’s touch was golden.

The Power led 8.2 to 1.2 at quarter-time then potted the next three goals for a 58-point lead at the main break.

The match was seemingly in Port’s keeping before a late Hawthorn charge.

Port’s captain Travis Boak collected 30 disposals and formed a commanding midfield with Hamish Hartlett (22 possessions) and Brad Ebert (25 touches), while Nathan Krakouer gathered 18 damaging disposals from defence.

And led by Schulz, Port’s forward line fizzed with Westhoff, Paddy Ryder and the Jared Polec each booting two goals.

The Hawks were overwhelmed, despite the best efforts of Isaac Smith (28 disposals, two goals), Jordan Lewis (36 possessions), Luke Hodge (28 disposals) and defender Josh Gibson.

And forward Jack Gunston (three goals) was integral in their late rally – the Hawks booted five goals to Port’s one point in the final quarter.

But Port held firm for a result which leaves both clubs with a pair of wins and losses this season.