Sam Newman can expect a fresh wave of criticism after flashing his genitals to a national television audience on Thursday night.
No stranger to controversy, the Geelong forward-turned-TV-celebrity has previously attracted attention for views seen as racist and sexist.
However on Thursday night, Newman gave viewers an entirely different view.
The AFL Footy Show star, 69, took to the show’s stage wearing unbuttoned Port Adelaide pyjamas.
As he was rolled off a hospital bed by a high-skirted nurse, he exposed himself to the Adelaide crowd and viewers.
The Logie-winning show, which was broadcast live on the road from Adelaide, regularly attracts hundreds of thousands of viewers. It moved to an 8:30pm timeslot last year.
Images and videos of Newman’s efforts quickly spread across Twitter.
“Seeing Sam Newman’s Crown Jewels on national TV is enough for me. Show has lost the plot.” one person Tweeted.
Others were offended by the role of the lingerie-clad nurse.
“Only took Sam Newman and the boys about 15 seconds to revert to being chauvinistic pigs.” another said.
Newman’s privates have previously featured on The Footy Show at least once, when he was ‘dacked’ by Shane Crawford in 2001.
Newman played 300 games for Geelong from 1964-80.
MAKING A DICK OF HIMSELF – SAM NEWMAN’S WORST FOOTY SHOW MOMENTS:
* 2014 – Newman is widely accused of homophobia when he calls gay NFL draftee Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend an “annoyingly gratuitous act”. Newman is booed and criticised by hosts James Brayshaw and Garry Lyon
* 2010 – Newman hits a golf ball off Uluru and is criticised for disrespecting traditional owners
* 2009 – Newman suggests a Malaysian man is “not long out of the forest”. The media watchdog rules Newman was likely to have provoked severe ridicule on the basis of the man’s colour and race
* 2008 – Newman attempts to mock Fairfax journalist Caroline Wilson, putting a photo of her face to a lingerie-wearing mannequin. Wilson called the stunt “degrading, humiliating and insulting”
* 2008 – Newman criticised after appearing to slur Tasmanian politician Paula Wriedt, saying “We couldn’t get her on, could we? …”
* 2008 – Channel Nine settles a defamation claim brought by a Western Bulldogs board member after Newman calls her a liar and a hypocrite on air. The comments cost $220,000 plus costs
* 2001 – Newman’s genitals appear on national TV after he is dacked by Shane Crawford
* 1999 – Newman dons black face paint to impersonate Nicky Winmar at a time when racial vilification is a hot issue in the league