Sport AFL Conca reported as Tigers labour past GWS

Conca reported as Tigers labour past GWS

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Reece Conca was reported as Richmond rolled to a fifth consecutive AFL win, downing Greater Western Sydney by 27 points at the MCG on Saturday.

The Tigers poured on five goals to nil in the second quarter to bust the game open and lay the platform for the 13.11 (89) to 8.14 (62) victory.

It is the side’s best winning streak under coach Damien Hardwick and the first time they have posted five wins on the trot since 2000.

With four rounds remaining, finals remain a mathematical possibility for the club that managed three wins from the opening 14 rounds.

For the second week in a row, Richmond’s triumph was marred by a callous strike that resulted in a match-day report.

Conca grappled with Devon Smith in the second quarter when the pair were close to the boundary line and the ball was long gone.

When Smith turned and trotted away towards the interchange bench, Conca raced after the GWS midfielder and lashed out at the back of his head.

Smith was caught completely unawares by the elbow, but got to his feet reasonably quickly and played out the match.

The Giants’ medical report is likely to save Conca from copping a similar suspension to the four-week ban handed out to Ty Vickery, who knocked Dean Cox out with a roundhouse blow.

The presence of GWS co-captain Phil Davis ensured Jack Riewoldt did not enjoy anything even closely resembling his day out in round 10.

Davis was still on the sidelines due to a serious kidney injury when the two sides met on May 24 and Riewoldt booted 11 goals in a 113-point demolition.

On Saturday, the Tigers spearhead was restricted to one goal in front of 23,093 fans.

The hulking presence of Tom Boyd and the Giants’ competitive streak were two other notable differences between the games.

Last year’s No.1 draft pick Boyd dobbed two goals in his first game at the MCG, while Callan Ward was inspirational as the visitors fought back from a 36-point deficit late in the second quarter.

GWS got within 16 points in the third term and rallied again in the final quarter, but couldn’t sustain the pressure.

Dustin Martin was well tagged by Tomas Bugg, but kicked two steadying goals in the third term for Richmond.

Brett Deledio also potted two goals for the hosts and tallied 31 touches, while Brandon Ellis had a match-high 34 possessions.

Two of the MCG’s light towers cut out in the second quarter, but they were back on when the sun went down during the halftime break.