Sport AFL Blues’ big guns overpower hapless Saints

Blues’ big guns overpower hapless Saints

Levi Casboult (R), who booted four goals, is congratulated by Andrejs Everitt.
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Carlton’s big forwards had a field day against St Kilda on Sunday as the Blues dominated the second half to score an 85-point win in their clash at Etihad Stadium.

The Blues snapped a five-game losing streak to win 24.7 (151) to St Kilda’s 10.6 (66) in front of a crowd of 29,297. It was Carlton’s biggest winning margin of the season as they moved to a 5-10 record.

The Blues had led by 15 points at halftime before outscoring the Saints 14 goals to three in the second half, proving they can kick big scores without dumped key forward Jarrad Waite.

Big men Lachie Henderson and Levi Casboult and former defender Simon White kicked four goals each for the Blues and speedster Chris Yarran booted three majors.

Nick Riewoldt scored three goals for the Saints despite an avalanche of wayward passes from teammates who constantly kicked over the skipper’s head.

Andrew Walker and Marc Murphy were busy for the Blues along with Andrejs Everitt while Shane Savage and David Armitage were prominent for the Saints.

Carlton were dominant early and Yarran roved the pack to kick the Blues’ fifth goal at the 22-minute mark of the opening quarter. The Saints didn’t help their cause by immediately giving away an undisciplined free kick, as Sean Dempster put White in a headlock and White booted a goal from 12 metres out.

The Blues led 6.2 (38) to 2.0 (12) at quarter-time and added another three goals in the first seven minutes of the second term to jump out to a 44-point advantage.

St Kilda showed some fight by kicking five of the last six goals of the term to cut the margin to 15 points at halftime, 10.2 (62) to 7.5 (47).

Carlton started the second half with midfielder Andrew Carrazzo subbed out because of a calf complaint.

Henderson and Casboult booted five of the Blues’ seven third-quarter goals to put the home side 49 points ahead at three-quarter time and Carlton added another seven in the final term.

Carlton’s Troy Menzel kicked two goals before leaving the field late in the game clutching his shoulder.

St Kilda face North Melbourne in Hobart next Saturday and Sydney host Carlton at the SCG later that night.