Sport AFL Hapless Blues bag fourth straight loss

Hapless Blues bag fourth straight loss

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Greater Western Sydney have given their record book a healthy upgrade with an eight-point AFL win over Carlton.

The 15.10 (100) to 14.8 (92) victory at Spotless Stadium on Sunday gave the third season franchise back-to-back wins for the first time.

They kicked 10 goals in the first half for the first time in their history and their score of 10.2 was also their biggest-ever first half total

The Giants moved to a 4-9 season record, the same as the Blues, who suffered a fourth straight loss.

Down by 22 late in the second quarter, Carlton got back to within eight in both the third and final terms.

The Giants scored plenty of goals from turnovers, while Carlton didn’t notch a set shot goal till the third quarter.

Rhys Palmer kicked three goals for GWS, with Will Hoskin-Elliott, Dylan Shiel and Jonathon Patton each bagging two.

For Carlton, Troy Menzel kicked three while Jarrad Waite, Brock McLean and Dale Thomas all contributed two.

Ruckman Shane Mumford logged 55 hitouts for GWS, while Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward tallied 29 touches for the winners.

Mitch Robinson notched 31 possessions for the Blues.

GWS kicked four straight goals, two of them to Dylan Shiel to race to an early 31-12 lead.

Carlton slammed on the last three goals of the term to enter the break on level terms and kicked the first of the second quarter to hit the front.

The Giants rallied kicking 5.0 to 0.4 for the rest of the term to lead by 21 at halftime.

Carlton kicked four goals to three in the third quarter, but trailed by 14 at the final change.

Carlton substitute Dennis Armfield kicked the first goal of the final quarter, but Tom Boyd’s first senior goal and Palmer’s third of the day gave GWS breathing space before Carlton kicked the last three majors.

The Blues suffered a big blow before the game when captain Marc Murphy pulled out after suffering hamstring tightness in the warmup.