Sport AFL Roughead’s eight leads Hawks over Eagles

Roughead’s eight leads Hawks over Eagles

Jarryd Roughead
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Jarryd Roughead’s eight-goal haul has helped Hawthorn overpower West Coast by 44 points in Launceston.

On a picture perfect day at their second AFL home, the Hawks won 19.9 (123) to 12.7 (79) in front of 15,503 fans at Aurora Stadium on Saturday.

The Eagles tested Hawthorn’s weakened list early, leading by two goals halfway through the second term.

But the premiers responded, with Roughead kicking four second-quarter goals on the way to the big forward equalling his highest goal tally set against Carlton in 2009.

Jack Gunston played a smart supporting hand of three majors, while debutant Luke Lowden also kicked three – including one with his first AFL kick.

The win keeps Hawthorn on the pace of league leaders Port Adelaide and leaves West Coast’s finals ambitions hanging by a thread.

As opposed to last week’s nervy win over the Giants, the Hawks showed their best in patches, with trademark fast movement and sharp kicking.

It was two spells that signalled death for the Eagles – five goals straight at both the end of the second and third terms.

On his return from a hamstring strain, Cyril Rioli impressed with his desire while Luke Hodge was back to his imposing self after a poor display last week against the Giants.

Young backman Taylor Duryea was full of endeavour, with Jordan Lewis and Isaac Smith also impressing.

For the Eagles, Matt Priddis and Luke Shuey were prolific but their side lacked run and clean hands.

West Coast started well after Luke Breust’s delightful opener, three times reeling in a one goal deficit before leading at quarter-time through Mark LeCras’ buzzer-beater.

Hawthorn old boy Xavier Ellis kicked two early goals to get the Eagles 12 points clear, but the second term belonged to Roughead.

The pick of his bag was a 55-metre bomb from the pocket.

A neat side-show act was Lowden, who waited six years on Hawthorn’s list to get a game.

He was congratulated by every teammate when he roved and snapped truly in the second quarter.

The second half was much flatter, with the exception of ten scintillating minutes.

The Hawks again kicked into gear with five goals in the third term to put the game out of West Coast’s reach.

Fittingly it was Roughead who finished the rout with a late crumbing effort.