Sport AFL Giants suspend Greene for five AFL games

Giants suspend Greene for five AFL games

Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

Greater Western Sydney have come down hard on Toby Greene for breaching the AFL code of conduct, suspending the midfielder for five matches and fining him $5000.

Greene, 20, will face the Melbourne Magistrates Court on September 25 after being charged with several assault-based offences following an incident at a Melbourne nightspot on Monday night.

Giants chief executive David Matthews said Greene had breached club protocol by drinking alcohol after sustaining an ankle injury in last Sunday’s match against West Coast.

Greene had also failed to properly notify the club after he was charged by police.

The sanctions were recommended by the player leadership group and head coach Leon Cameron and unanimously supported by the Giants’ board.

“We are in no way pre-judging the charges against Toby which will be heard in court later this year,” Matthews said.

“However Toby has failed to meet the standards expected of the playing group by drinking alcohol when injured and failing to properly notify the club about a serious incident within an acceptable time frame.

“We are developing what we believe to be a strong culture at the Giants and we will not tolerate any actions by individuals which may jeopardise it.

“The player leadership group has made a clear statement to this effect and this has been supported by the board.

“Our values are paramount and we believe these are not only appropriate sanctions but also send a strong message to our playing group, fans and corporate and community partners about what we stand for as a club.

“Toby will receive counselling to ensure he learns from this experience and the standards expected of all players. We have the youngest playing list in the AFL and we need to ensure we provide them appropriate support and education.”

Greene will be unavailable for the Giants’ games against Richmond, Hawthorn, Essendon, Brisbane and Carlton and will also be ineligible to play for the reserves during that period.

Victoria Police charged Greene with intentionally causing serious injury, assault by kicking, assault with a weapon and criminal damage after the incident at Zagame’s in Caulfield East.

A 19-year-old from Malvern was also charged with similar offences.