Sport AFL Bulldogs hold on to stun Tigers in a thriller

Bulldogs hold on to stun Tigers in a thriller

Tom Liberatore
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The Western Bulldogs let a 37-point advantage slip before booting the final goal to score a two-point upset win over Richmond in their AFL match at Etihad Stadium.

The Bulldogs notched their first win of the season 15.10 (100) to Richmond’s 15.8 (98) after a thrilling final term in which the Tigers kicked six goals to the Bulldogs’ four and snatched the lead late.

Finals hopefuls Richmond have slipped to a 1-2 win-loss record.

Teenager Jack Macrae and Matthew Boyd were dominant for the Bulldogs, while Stewart Crameri (two goals and 18 disposals) and Liam Jones (three goals) were also key players for the home side.

Old hand Daniel Giansiracusa, who played as the substitute and came on at three-quarter time, kicked two crucial goals.

Jack Riewoldt recovered from a woeful first half to boot four goals for the Tigers including two in a roller coaster final term. Skipper Trent Cotchin was a stand-out for Richmond in midfield, in front of a crowd of 31,724.

The Bulldogs had kicked clear 5.4 (34) to 2.4 (16) in the opening term with Crameri in outstanding touch.

Richmond’s Nick Vlastuin was subbed off with concussion in the second term.

The Bulldogs kicked four goals to Richmond’s one to stretch their advantage to 37 points at halftime, 9.5 (59) to 3.4 (22).

The home side held a 34-point break at the 23-minute mark of the third term before the Tigers rallied with three goals in five minutes to close the gap to 15 points at three-quarter time.

The Tigers had booted five consecutive majors and the Bulldogs’ lead had been cut to three points, but the home side responded with goals to Giansiracusa and Jones to move out to a 16-point advantage at the 12-minute mark.

Ty Vickery’s second goal and a booming 55-metre effort from ruckman Ben Griffiths again cut the margin to three points.

A goal to Crameri was matched by Richmond’s Shaun Grigg, before Riewoldt booted his fourth to put the Tigers in front after 26 minutes.

Giansiracusa kicked the Bulldogs’ 15th goal with less than two minutes remaining as his side regained the lead and held on with some spirited defence.

The AFL’s match review panel is expected to analyse a tackle from Richmond’s Matt Thomas on Ryan Griffen during the third term, when Griffen was slammed into the turf with his arms pinned.