News World US Trump’s $14,000-a-day fine to continue: Judge
Updated:
Live

Trump’s $14,000-a-day fine to continue: Judge

Donald Trump
A New York judge has dismissed an appeal to pause a daily accruing fine handed to Donald Trump. Photo: Getty
Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email
Live

A New York appellate court judge has rejected Donald Trump’s bid to halt his $US10,000 ($14,000)-a-day fine, keeping the former president’s meter running as he fights a lower-court decision penalising him for failing to turn over documents in a civil investigation.

Judge Tanya Kennedy, of the appellate division of the US state’s trial court, denied Mr Trump’s interim application to pause the fine pending his appeal.

The court’s full bench would weigh in on Mr Trump’s motion to stay the fine later this month, Ms Kennedy said.

Mr Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba requested the stay on Monday, a week after Manhattan Judge Arthur Engoron fined Mr Trump for failing to comply with a subpoena issued in New York Attorney-General Letitia James’ probe of his business dealings.

Ms Habba wrote in a court filing Judge Engoron’s ruling was “unconscionable and indefensible”.

The judge found Mr Trump, who is appealing the ruling, and his lawyers had failed to show they conducted a proper search for subpoenaed records.

In asking the appellate court to pause his fine, Mr Trump sought to stop it from accruing while he seeks to overturn Judge Engoron’s ruling — potentially saving him hundreds of thousands of dollars even if the appellate court ultimately upholds the contempt finding.

Mr Trump is also appealing Judge Engoron’s February 17 ruling requiring him to answer questions under oath.

Oral arguments in that appeal are scheduled for May 11. No arguments have been scheduled in Mr Trump’s contempt challenge.

In a written statement on Tuesday, Republican Trump lashed out at Ms James and the state’s court system.

He called the attorney-general, who is a black Democrat, “racist”, said the courts were “biased, unyielding, and totally unfair” and claimed to have turned over “millions of pages of documents, perhaps more than any person or entity has ever given before”.

“This is a continuation of the greatest witch hunt in history, and it should not be allowed to continue,” Mr Trump said in the statement.

“The good news is, I have done nothing wrong!”

A message seeking comment was left with Ms Habba.

Ms James asked Judge Engoron to hold Mr Trump in contempt after he failed to produce any documents to satisfy a March 31 deadline to meet the terms of the subpoena.

She has said her investigation has found evidence Mr Trump may have misstated the value of assets like skyscrapers and golf courses on financial statements for more than a decade.

Ms Habba told Judge Engoron she met Mr Trump to ensure he had no records and there were none to be found.

On Friday, she submitted additional documents explaining the document search, including an affidavit in which Mr Trump claimed he had no documents.

Judge Engoron criticised the affidavit as lacking in detail.

In seeking to halt the fine, Ms Habba said Mr Trump and his representatives had performed a “diligent, thorough and comprehensive search” for everything sought in the subpoena and provided complete and accurate responses to the attorney-general.

She said the additional submissions last week amounted to “extraordinary efforts to comply.”

“Given these circumstances, it is unconscionable and indefensible for Appellant to be held in contempt in any manner, much less at the inordinate expense of $10,000 per day,” she said.

– AAP