News World US US to slash Afghanistan troop levels within weeks

US to slash Afghanistan troop levels within weeks

Share
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

President Donald Trump will sharply reduce the number of US forces in Afghanistan from 4500 to 2500 by mid-January, the Pentagon has announced, stopping short of a full withdrawal from America’s longest war.

Mr Trump’s decision to limit himself to a partial withdrawal triggered a rebuke from senior Republicans, who fear it will undermine security and hurt fragile peace talks with the Taliban.

Acting Defence Secretary Christopher Miller, who Mr Trump installed just last week after abruptly firing Mark Esper, confirmed the Afghan drawdown on Tuesday (local time). He also outlined a modest withdrawal of forces from Iraq that will reduce troop levels there from 3000 to 2500.

“By January 15, 2021, our forces, their size in Afghanistan, will be 2500 troops. Our force size in Iraq will also be 2500 by that same date,” Mr Miller said.

“This is consistent with our established plans and strategic objectives, supported by the American people, and does not equate to a change in US policy or objectives.”

Moments later, the top Republican in the Senate, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, warned against any major changes in US defence or foreign policy in the next couple of months – including any precipitous troop drawdowns in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Mr Trump is due to leave office on January 20 after losing the presidential election to Democrat Joe Biden. He has launched legal challenges to vote counts in some swing states, which he says were fraudulent, but legal experts give him little chance of success.

The top Republican on the House of Representatives armed services committee, Mac Thornberry also slammed the troop cut as a “mistake”.

US and Afghan officials are warning of troubling levels of violence by Taliban insurgents and persistent Taliban links to al-Qaeda.

It was those ties that triggered US military intervention in 2001 following the al-Qaeda September 11 attacks on the US. Thousands of American and allied troops have died in fighting in Afghanistan.

Some US military officials had urged Mr Trump to maintain US troop levels at about 4500.

But the withdrawal stops short of his pledge on October 7, when Mr Trump said on Twitter: “We should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving in Afghanistan home by Christmas!”

The withdrawals could hand Mr Biden a new set of challenges when he takes office on January 20.

Taliban militants, fighting against the US-backed government in Kabul, have called on the United States to stick to a February agreement with the Trump administration to withdraw US troops by May, subject to certain security guarantees.

-AAP