News World Hong Kong police charge shot teen with rioting

Hong Kong police charge shot teen with rioting

A schoolmate of Tsang Chi-kin, who was shot on October 1, holds a placard saying "police mistreat and murder residents". Photo: Getty
Twitter Facebook Reddit Pinterest Email

The teenager who was the first victim of police gunfire in Hong Kong’s months-long pro-democracy protests has been charged with rioting and attacking police.

It comes as local media outlets report Hong Kong is set to enact an emergency law to ban face masks at rallies, as authorities grapple with nearly four months of anti-government protests.

Many demonstrators wear face masks to hide their identities and shield themselves from tear gas.

The shooting occurred during widespread violence on Tuesday across the semi-autonomous Chinese territory that marred China’s National Day celebrations.

It has deepened anger against police, who have been accused of being heavy-handed against protesters.

The officer fired at close range as 18-year-old Tsang Chi-kin struck him with a rod.

The government said Mr Tsang’s condition was stable after surgery.

The protester was treated at the scene after being shot. Photo: Campus TV Hong Kong/Twitter

The case against Mr Tsang was heard by a court on Thursday afternoon.

He was among seven people charged with rioting, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison.

Mr Tsang also faces two additional counts of attacking two police officers, punishable by up to six months in prison.

Mr Tsang did not appear in court.

Dozens of supporters, many in black, sat outside the courthouse.

Thousands of people rallied on Wednesday to demand police accountability for the shooting, with many saying the use of lethal weaponry was unjustified.

Pockets of black-clad youths vented their anger late on Wednesday night, lobbing gasoline bombs at police quarters, vandalising subway stations and blocking traffic in several districts.

Police responded with tear gas in some areas.

More than 1000 students marched on Thursday at the Chinese University in a continuing show of support for Mr Tsang and vowed to keep up their fight for more democratic freedoms.

Many students felt that firing at Mr Tsang’s chest, close to his heart, was an attempt to kill him.

Police defended the shooting at close range as “reasonable and lawful” because the officer had feared for his life and those of his colleagues.

Videos on social media of the shooting showed a group of black-clad protesters with bars and umbrellas clashing with police.

They closed in on a lone officer, who opened fire as Mr Tsang came at him with a rod.

Just as another protester rushed in to try to drag Mr Tsang away but was tackled by an officer, a gasoline bomb landed in the middle of the group of officers in an explosion of flames.

The shooting marked an escalation in violence in the protests that have besieged one of the world’s top financial hubs since June over a now-withdrawn extradition bill.

The movement has snowballed into an anti-China campaign amid anger over what many view as Beijing’s interference in the autonomy that was granted Hong Kong when the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

More than 1750 people have been detained so far.

View Comments