News World Christchurch death toll rises after wounded victim dies
Updated:

Christchurch death toll rises after wounded victim dies

christchurch shooting vigil
There are still nine people recovering from their wounds in hospitals across New Zealand. Photo: AAP
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

The death toll from the Christchurch shooting massacre has risen to 51 after a Turkish man wounded in the mosque attacks died in hospital.

The Turkish government overnight announced one of its citizens had died from the wounds sustained in the March 15 terror attacks that killed 50 and injured 50 more.

New Zealand police separately confirmed a 46-year-old man who had been in critical condition at Christchurch’s public hospital since the shootings had died.

The man was wounded at the Al Noor mosque, the first of two sites attacked, Police said. He cannot be publicly named in New Zealand because of a court order.

The man’s brother told Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency he had been taken to surgery on Thursday but he could not be saved after battling for 50 days.

He is the second person to die in hospital following the attack and the first since the day of the shootings.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern offered her condolences.

“This sad news will be felt across Turkey as well as New Zealand,” she said in a statement Friday.

Nine other people remain in hospitals around New Zealand as they recover from wounds sustained in the attacks. All are in a  stable condition.

Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 28, faces 50 counts of murder and 38 of attempted murder over the shootings.

He is due to appear again in court next month.

Police on Friday declined to comment if further charges were pending.

-with AAP