News World Dutch police arrest third suspect over Utrecht shooting

Dutch police arrest third suspect over Utrecht shooting

Flowers have been left in tribute to victims of the shootings in Utrecht. Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email Comment

Dutch police say they have arrested a third person on suspicion of involvement in the tram shooting in the city of Utrecht that left three people dead.

Public prosecution office spokesman Ties Kortmann said on Tuesday that three people are now in custody – alleged shooter Gokmen Tanis and two others suspected of involvement in Monday’s shooting that also left five people injured.

Mr Kortmann says Tanis, 37, is being held on suspicion of manslaughter with a possible terrorist motive, but adds that investigations are continuing into what drove him to allegedly open fire in a tram.

Authorities said they were still trying to establish the motive for Monday’s attack in the quiet residential neighbourhood, which also injured five people.

Regional police commissioner Rob van Bree said on a late-night talk show that there was no connection known yet between the suspect and the victims.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte said “terrorist” motives could still not be ruled out.

But in an evening press conference, Utrecht’s top prosecutor, Rutger Jeuken, said family issues could also be involved.

The suspect had previously been arrested, Mr Jeuken told reporters, without giving further details.

Dutch media, citing his neighbours in Utrecht, have speculated that the shooting may have been linked to a relationship.

There was no immediate comment from Tanis or any lawyer representing him.

Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad identified one of the victims as a 19-year-old woman who worked in a cafe and another as a local football coach who was the father of two young children.

The third victim has not been identified by police or press.

-AAP

Comments
View Comments