News World ‘Traumatised’: Mosque attack victims and survivors from Middle East and south Asia
Updated:

‘Traumatised’: Mosque attack victims and survivors from Middle East and south Asia

mosque-shooting
Brothers Yama and Omar Nabi outside Christchurch District Court after their father Daoud Nabi was killed at the Al Noor mosque. Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin Email

Dozens of traumatised gun-shooting victims remain in hospital on Saturday as officials confirm many of those killed and wounded were from the Middle East and south Asia including Indonesia.

Brothers Yama and Omar Nabi from Afghanistan lost their father Haji Daoud Nabi, 71, who was killed in a mass shooting at the Al Noor mosque in the South Island city of Christchurch in New Zealand on Friday afternoon.

Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said a father and son were among those shot and wounded in the Linwood Islamic Centre.

Mr Nasir said the father is being treated in an intensive care unit and his son is in another ward at the same hospital with wounds to his leg and backside.

My husband Zulfirman Syah and son are both alive, but injured. Both shot in the attack today at the Linwood Islamic…

Posted by Alta Marie on Thursday, March 14, 2019

The man’s wife, Alta Marie, posted on Facebook that her husband and their son are both alive, but wounded.

“My husband was shot in multiple places and has a drain in his lung,” she wrote on Facebook.

She said she was reunited with her son who is “traumatised” after being shot in his back and leg.

“But we are all alive,” she said.

Bangladesh’s honorary consul in Auckland, Shafiqur Rahman Bhuiyan, told The Associated Press that “so far” three Bangladeshis were among those killed and four or five others were wounded, including two left in critical condition.

“One leg of an injured needed to be amputated while another suffered bullet injuries in his chest,” Rahman Bhuiyan said.

Two Jordanians were among those killed, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the state-run Petra news service.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Sufian Qudah had earlier said that a Jordanian man was killed and eight others were wounded.

Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said four Pakistanis were wounded, and spokesman Mohammad Faisal tweeted that five other Pakistani citizens are missing after Friday’s attacks.

Malaysia said two of its citizens were hospitalised, and the Saudi Embassy in Wellington said two Saudis were wounded.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said at least three Turkish citizens were wounded in the attacks in New Zealand and that he has spoken to one of them.

Earlier, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said many of those killed and injured were migrants and refugees, declaring “they are us”.

“They have chosen to make New Zealand their home, and it is their home. They are us.

“The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not.”

“And those values I can assure you will not and cannot be shaken by this attack,” she said.

-with AAP