Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn is preparing to leave detention after posting one billion yen ($12.6 million) in bail.
The Tokyo District Court confirmed that the bail had been posted, meaning he could be released as early as Wednesday.
That clears the way for him to leave the Tokyo Detention Centre, where he has been held since his November 19 arrest.
A woman believed to be Ghosn’s wife, Carole Ghosn, was seen leaving the detention centre on Wednesday.
The former head of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Motors alliance is charged with falsifying financial reports and breach of trust.
Ghosn issued a statement reasserting his innocence.
“I am innocent and totally committed to vigorously defending myself in a fair trial against these meritless and unsubstantiated accusations,” he said.
One of Ghosn’s lawyers, Junichiro Hironaka, said the legal team offered conditions for his release, such as a surveillance camera at the doorway and a promise not to use the internet.
He is allowed to make voice calls, but he cannot travel abroad.
Jean-Yves Le Borgne, Ghosn’s French lawyer, cautioned that prosecutors still had leeway to file new charges.
Two of Ghosn’s earlier requests to be released on bail were rejected.
A date for his trial has not yet been set.
Ghosn says he is innocent of falsifying financial reports because the compensation he is alleged to have under-reported was never paid or decided upon.
The breach of trust allegations centre on a temporary transfer of Ghosn’s investment losses to Nissan’s books that he says caused no losses to the car maker.
The charge also points to payments to a Saudi businessman that he says were for legitimate services.
Nissan Motor Co declined comment on the criminal case but said an internal investigation had found unethical conduct.
Nissan has dismissed Ghosn as chairman, although he remains on the board, pending a decision at a shareholders’ meeting.