At least 91 people are dead and dozens more injured after a 7.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the Indonesian holiday islands of Lombok and Bali.
The quake struck Lombok early Sunday evening local time at a depth of 10 kilometres, a week after a magnitude 6.4 quake killed 16 people on the island and briefly stranded hundreds of hikers on the slopes of a volcano.
There have been reports of heavy damage on the Gili Islands where several thousand people reportedly fled to higher ground after a tsunami warning.
The ABC’s Indonesian correspondent David Lipson said 1000 tourists had been evacuated from Gili Islands, but no foreigners had been killed there.
This is some of the destruction on Gili Islands pic.twitter.com/XDDMCXov0O
— David Lipson (@davidlipson) August 6, 2018
Head of the disaster management agency in Indonesia’s West Nusa Tenggara province, Muhammad Rum, said a one-year-old child and a 72-year-old were among the dead.
There have been no reports yet of Australian casualties.
The highest number of casualties was in North Lombok district, where 29 people died, Mr Rum told local broadcaster Metro TV.
Fatalities were also reported in Mataram, the island’s main city, and districts of East Lombok, Central Lombok and South Lombok.
Power cuts were affecting most of the island of Lombok, local media cited Mr Rum as saying.
The quake also trigged a brief tsunami warning and damaged buildings as far away as Denpasar in Bali.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said many Australians felt the quake, including Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton who has since tweeted that he and other members of an Australian delegation visiting Lombok are safe.
Mr Turnbull said he would offer Australian support to Indonesia when he spoke to Indonesian President Joko Widodo later on Monday,
“At this stage, we have no reports of Australians being injured,” he told the Nine Network. “But, as we have heard, its effects have been felt around Indonesia, including in Bali, where so many thousands of Australians will be right now.”
Mr Dutton, who is in Lombok for a counter-terrorism meeting, earlier told Fairfax Media the earthquake “was powerful enough to put us on the floor”.
“We were up on the 12th floor, the lights went out and we were able to evacuate,” Dutton said, adding he and his delegation, along with his New Zealand counterpart, are waiting to be evacuated to Bali.
I think we were pretty lucky in the end. Emergency services responded really well.
“They were able to evacuate us to safe ground and we are very grateful. There have been no reports of any local injures that we are aware of but we are anxiously awaiting further advice on that.”
Australian delegation is safe and is evacuated from hotel. Very grateful to Indonesian police and authorities and the AFP. We are not yet aware of the extent of the damage, but thoughts and prayers are with those impacted.
— Peter Dutton (@PeterDutton_MP) August 5, 2018
Travellers at the international airports in Bali and Lombok were panicked as the quake caused damage to the buildings. But operations were not disrupted, officials said.
The quake was felt for several seconds in Bali, where people ran out of houses, hotels, and restaurants.
“All the hotel guests were running, so I did too. People filled the streets,” said Michelle Lindsay, an Australian tourist. “A lot of officials were urging people not to panic.”
Arriving at #Lombok airport moments after the 7.0 quake. Left #Denpasar just before the quake hit the airport. Evacuated at Lombok from baggage claim as aftershocks hit the terminal. Still feeling more aftershocks at our hotel now in Praya. #lombokearthquake pic.twitter.com/I2J8jZhwDa
— The Tattooed Flamingo (@TTF_Jells) August 5, 2018
Australian actress Teresa Palmer, who is holidaying on Bali, said she felt the magnitude-7 quake.
“We felt it here in Ubud and it was VIOLENT. We are staying in a tree house and it was swaying like crazy. Very scary. Stay safe everyone,” she tweeted.
Other witnesses said the initial quake grew in intensity over several seconds, rattling windows and doors, and there were many aftershocks.
The country’s disaster management agency urged people to stay away from the sea. However, an initial warning of a tsunami with waves of up to half a metre was later withdrawn.