US President Donald Trump is open to another meeting with North Korea leader Kim Jong-un, the White House says, but there are no future meetings planned.
The White House was forced to clarify the president’s stance after his late-night tweet on Thursday praising Mr Kim for sending home remains of soldiers from the 1950-1953 Korean War.
“Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen! I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action,” Mr Trump wrote on Twitter.
The message also appeared to suggest there would be a second meeting between he and Mr Kim, after the two leaders met at an historic summit in Singapore on June 12.
“Also, thank you for your nice letter – I look forward to seeing you soon!”, he said, without elaborating.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders later told a regularly scheduled briefing that “there is not a second meeting that is currently locked in or finalised,” but that Trump is “certainly open to that discussion”.
During their summit, North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency, Mr Kim invited Mr Trump to visit Pyongyang at a “convenient time” and that Mr Trump had invited Kim to the US.
Mr Trump added to those reports when he told a press conference he would “absolutely” invite Mr Kim to the White House.
Ms Sanders added that Mr Trump would shortly send a response to Kim’s letter, which he received on Wednesday.
North Korea sent 55 boxes of what is believed to be the remains of US troops home last week, after the two leaders pledged to “commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified” during their summit.