News World Donald Trump calls sexual misconduct allegations ‘fake news’
Updated:

Donald Trump calls sexual misconduct allegations ‘fake news’

Donald Trump sexual allegations
Donald Trump has dismissed sexual allegations against him, calling them "fabricated stories". Photo: Getty
Share
Tweet Share Reddit Pin EmailComment

US President Donald Trump has rejected calls for an investigation into claims of sexual misconduct, insisting he is the target of “fake news”.

Mr Trump lashed out at renewed sexual allegations on Tuesday, calling the accusations “fabricated stories” from women he did not know and had never met.

It comes after three women, who previously accused the Mr Trump of sexual harassment, shared their stories on NBC’s Today show on Monday (US time) and called for a congressional investigation into his behaviour.

Mr Trump branded accusations as a political attack by the Democrats after they were “unable to show any collusion with Russia” despite “thousands of hours wasted and many millions of dollars spent”.

“So now they are moving on to the false accusations and fabricated stories of women who I don’t know and/or have never met. FAKE NEWS!” Mr Trump posted on Twitter.

His comments come a day after the White House said it had eyewitnesses who would clear him of any suspicion of wrongdoing in the allegations, which first surfaced during the 2016 presidential campaign.

More than a dozen women have accused the real estate mogul turned politician of making unwanted sexual advances against them.

Mr Trump has also come under fire for a “suggestive” tweet about Democratic Senator Kristen Gillibrand implying she would do anything for money.

Senator Gillibrand was one of more than 50 congresswomen who called for an investigation into the President’s behaviour on Monday, and said that Mr Trump should resign over the allegations.

Mr Trump said “lightweight” Senator Gillibrand “would come to my office ‘begging’ for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump”.

The tweet attracted an immediate response from the senator, saying Mr Trump had brought shame to the presidency.

“You cannot silence me or the millions of women who have gotten off the sidelines to speak out about the unfitness and shame you have brought to the Oval Office,” she wrote.

Ms Gillibrand continued her attack at a press conference where she called the president’s tweet “a sexist smear attempting to silence my voice.”

“I will not be silent on this issue, neither will women who stood up to the president yesterday and neither will the millions of women who have been marching since the Women’s March to stand up against policies they do not agree with,” she said.

– with agencies

Comments
View Comments