The Australian girlfriend of Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock has said she “had no warning” of the massacre which killed 59 people.
“It never occurred to me in any way whatsoever that he was planning violence against anyone,” said Marilou Danley in a statement after being questioned for much of the day by FBI agents.
“I am devastated by the deaths and injuries that have occurred and my prayers go out to the victims and their families and all those who have been hurt by these awful events.
“I knew Stephen Paddock as a kind, caring, quiet man. I loved him and hoped for a quiet future together with him. He never said anything to me or took any action that I was aware of that I understood in any way to be a warning that something horrible like this was going to happen.”
Instead, she claims she thought he wanted to end their relationship by sending her away.
Paddock, 64, killed himself at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino after firing from a 32nd floor room and investigators have since struggled to find a motive for his rampage.
Philippine-born Ms Danley said via her legal representative that just over two weeks ago, “Stephen told me he found a cheap ticket to the Philippines and that he wanted me to take a trip home to see my family.”
She was “excited” to take the trip, which her family claims was masterminded by Mr Paddock to stop her preventing the massacre.
Ms Danley confirmed Mr Paddock wired her money, “Which he said was for me to buy a house for me and my family.
“I was grateful, but honestly I was worried at first the unexpected trip home and then the money was a way of breaking up with me.”
In the days before the shooting, Mr Paddock transferred $US100,000 ($A127,700) to the Philippines, a US official briefed by law enforcement told the Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.
“I have not made a statement until now because I have been cooperating with the authorities and I voluntarily flew back to America because I know that the FBI and Las Vegas Police Department wanted to talk to me, and I wanted to talk to them,” said Ms Danley, adding she would “cooperate fully” with the investigation.
In a press conference on Wednesday (US time) Las Vegas police said it appeared Mr Paddock was living “a secret life”.
“We have produced a profile of someone who is disturbed and dangerous,” County Clark Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said.
“A man who spent decades acquiring weapons and ammo and living a secret life, much of which will never be understood.
“Usually there is a tell tale sign associated with these type of actions … We have not found that yet,” Lombardo continued.
Aaron Rouse, from Las Vegas FBI said authorities had “multiple leads all across the United States and all across the world” and were now attempting to ascertain whether Mr Paddock acted alone.
“You look at the weapon obtaining, the different amounts of Tannerite [explosives] available, do you think this was all accomplished on his own?” Sheriff Lombardo said.
“On face value, you’ve got to make the assumption he had to have some help at some point, and we want to ensure that that’s the answer.”
“Maybe he’s a super guy that was working this all out on his own, but it would be hard for me to believe that,” the sheriff said.
“Here’s the reason why: Put two and two together. Another residence in Reno with several firearms, electronics and everything else associated with large amounts of ammo, a place in Mesquite, we know that he had a girlfriend.
“Do you think this is all self-facing? An individual, without talking to somebody, just sequestered among themselves? I mean, come on folks.”
Police also said 317 of the 489 people injured in the Las Vegas shooting had been discharged from hospitals.