Turkish media reports say police have caught the alleged gunman who killed 39 people during an attack on a nightclub in Istanbul during New Year’s celebrations.
The private Dogan news agency and other media say the suspect was caught in Istanbul’s district of Esenyurt in a police operation late on Monday.
The terrorist group Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.
The man who was caught has been living under the name Ebu Muhammed Horasani.
He was reportedly caught in an operation along with his son. He was found in the European side of Istanbul.
Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said it was “planned and organised”, adding there appeared to be an intelligence aspect to the attack.
“It appears the Reina attack is not just a terrorist organisation’s act, but there was also an intelligence organisation involved,” Mr Kurtulmus said during an interview with broadcaster A Haber.
“It was an extremely planned and organised act.”
Dozens of people have previously been detained in connection with the attack for which Islamic State said was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.
— News_Executive (@News_Executive) January 16, 2017
On January 1, the attacker shot his way into the exclusive Reina nightclub then opened fire with an automatic rifle, reloading his weapon half a dozen times and shooting the wounded as they lay on the ground.
Turks as well as visitors from several Arab nations, India and Canada were among those killed in the attack.
Dogan news agency published what it said was the first image of the attacker. It showed a bruised, black-haired man in a grey, bloodied shirt being held by his neck.
Private NTV television said the gunman had resisted arrest.